A&H

Switching it up

dylanbailey4444

Level 5 Referee
I’ve been thinking of switching up where I put my cards and how I do things, etc.

So, currently I keep my write on yellow card in my right short pocket (as I write on my YC’s) my red in my back pocket, sometimes a score sheet in my left short pocket, a yellow and red card for a second sending off in my right shirt pocket, with a pen clipped, and a notebook in my left shirt pocket (which I write subs names on, and red cards), with another pen clipped. I’ve been wanting to switch it up recently. The idea struck me when I had started to realise that the normal yellow card that I use and put a card sticker over is becoming a bit dirty and I like to have my cards clean. I don’t know why that made me think to swap things around, but it did. Where does everyone else keep their things and what other things do they do in relation to this?

The Referee Store
The key is to find the fail proof method which suits you best
If it looks tidy to others, thats a bonus

I keep my scorecard between two yellows in my top left, and my red in my top right
I have had folk say " who did you caution" after a goal, because my matchcard is between my two yellows, and they happen to glance a flash of yellow.

two pencils loose in shorts right
spare whistle shorts left

I flash cards, have not taken a number for over 20 years.

Yellow in book with sin bin cheat sheet in book in left shorts pocket.

Red in back shorts pocket. Coin in same pocket.

Yellow and red in top right pocket for double yellow-red.

Team sheets in top left if not left in changing room, mini pencils in same pocket.

Don't have any issues.

Left shorts - yellow
Right shorts - white write on card (for straight reds)
Back pocket - red

Left shirt - pens, pencils and coin
Right shirt - spare notepad with Y&R cards

Right shorts - yellow
Left shorts - red
Back pocket - match notepad, with spare cards
Shirt pocket - two pens
Two whistles on the same lanyard so I can switch quickly if one goes

As others have said, as long as you do the same thing every game, whatever works for you

My one tip for beginners would be not to do what I did when I started, which was to have the cards I planned to use in the flaps of my plastic match wallet. Too much fumbling and if the weather is warm and you haven't had the red one out for a while, the card can get stuck to the plastic on the wallet. Spending 5 seconds trying to yank it free is not conducive to match control at the critical moment ....

Left pocket- match record card for bookings (subs on when Ar1) goals go on refsix on watch
Right pocket- yellow and pen
Back pocket- red
Right front yellow and a red

Last edited:
Left: Write-on Yellow
Right: Pen, Coin, Spare Whistle
Back: Red
Top left: Scorecard
Top right: R + Y for those lovely bang-bang second yellows, pen (clickable sharpie)

My one tip for beginners would be not to do what I did when I started, which was to have the cards I planned to use in the flaps of my plastic match wallet. Too much fumbling and if the weather is warm and you haven't had the red one out for a while, the card can get stuck to the plastic on the wallet. Spending 5 seconds trying to yank it free is not conducive to match control at the critical moment ....

Can also be very risky having a wallet with both red and yellow cards in it. If a player you are about to caution glimpses red they might become extremely uncooperative, likewise if they see yellow and you pull out the red the same coloured mist might descend.

Right short pocket - Yellow & White match record cards
Left short pocket - red
Back short pocket - notebook for any additional notes ever needed & sin bin cheat sheet
Left Shirt - spare red & yellow, normal pen
Right shirt - clickable sharpie
2 different whistles on lanyard (right hand)

Coin goes under secondary watch on right wrist

Can also be very risky having a wallet with both red and yellow cards in it. If a player you are about to caution glimpses red they might become extremely uncooperative, likewise if they see yellow and you pull out the red the same coloured mist might descend.

We've discussed this subject on here before.

I don't subscribe to that viewpoint.

I keep my cards inside my wallet on opposite sides. When I pull out my notebook to follow correct procedure and take the player's name, they can see both colours if they really want to. They might already have an idea of what card is coming out based on what they've done and the severity of my whistle blast but it's not theatre, it's refereeing. After taking the name and explaining (very briefly) what I've seen and the sanction, the player knows what's coming as I pull the card out anyway. All this "flashing" is unnecessary and simply adds to the drama. In my opinion of course. ;) :)

Funny I was thinking of asking this very question! Current system:

L Short pocket - Spare whistle
R Short Pocket - Coin
Back Pocket - Red

Upper L Shirt - nothing
Upper R Shirt - Match Wallet with Yellow card

My thinking is that I don't like to rush into what card to give (apart from when required) and there have been times I have taken the players name but still been thinking what sanction. This had been a decent system up to my current level.

I am considering using RefSix with write on to back up and make notes of numbers. Why two systems? Because I have a learning disability and struggle to read my own writing to which box to enter the data in which nearly caused trouble for me before! I feel I can log inti RefSix in the usual way then quickly and easily write the number down on the write on card as a back up if the Tech fails. The cards for the referee store are big (as are the skins) so I done an at home experiment and cut them down to fit my existing cards. Will hopeful get to try a new system in a friendly before next season! Still undecided yet though.

I changed mines up a few months ago from when I started.

Left short - yellow
Right short - red
right shirt - yellow + red
Left shirt - match card + mini pen

I use refsix for all recording except when multiple subs happen at the one time and I’ll use the match card for that.

Back