A&H

Swindon v Port Vale last night

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
Interesting one!

Swindon winning 2-1, Port Vale awarded a corner in added time.

Swindon player is sat down in penalty area, sitting up, but claiming he needs treatment.

Port Vale player takes corner, a team mate makes a half hearted attempt for ball but Swindon player swats ball away with his hand - in a gesture that says to kicker "Don't be stupid, we have a player down, you're have tot ake that again"

Ref awards a penalty, Port Vale score, game ends 2-2.

Only seen a brief clip, but I'm thinking ref did NOT stop play, which is why he awarded a penalty.

Thoughts?

The Referee Store
the ol' classic 'play to the whistle rule'

what I wonder is, why did the Swindon player swat it away if he thought play had stopped? just let it go in and the ref sort it out?

Doesn't seem controversial at all to me. Play is live (rightly or wrongly) the Swindon player is an idiot. Rightly a penalty.

You will not get promoted by letting incidents like this happen and will completely lose match control.

The AR could have stood in front of the ball. The referee gone over and asked the player if he required treatment, stopped his watch and added the time on.

Yes, it's a bit of time wasting, but no matter how frustrated Port Vale would have been had the referee of taken control of the situation we wouldn't of been aware of this incident. It wouldn't of made it onto sky sports news. And although, Port Vale slightly frustrated, they would have accepted the situation the referee was in. Instead by allowing the situation to develop the way it has, 1 team are extremely pi55ed off, and one team coming away with a point they weren't expecting.

With an assessor present or not, your club marks and your assessment marks for this game would potentially kill your promotion aspirations for that season.

You will not get promoted by letting incidents like this happen and will completely lose match control.

The AR could have stood in front of the ball. The referee gone over and asked the player if he required treatment, stopped his watch and added the time on.

Yes, it's a bit of time wasting, but no matter how frustrated Port Vale would have been had the referee of taken control of the situation we wouldn't of been aware of this incident. It wouldn't of made it onto sky sports news. And although, Port Vale slightly frustrated, they would have accepted the situation the referee was in. Instead by allowing the situation to develop the way it has, 1 team are extremely pi55ed off, and one team coming away with a point they weren't expecting.

With an assessor present or not, your club marks and your assessment marks for this game would potentially kill your promotion aspirations for that season.
Agreed. A bit of sensible, quick thinking by the AR could well have prevented that situation. If the Ref is unhappy with that, he can deal with in the dressing room after.

I doubt it though ...

he sits down just as the corner is to be taken, there is no law that means the referee has to stop play, the referee didn't

the only way I can see a mark down on your assessment is not issuing a RC for the players getting in your face!

Trust me @Charlie Jones. That's why i didn't mention AOL. Managed like I said, he wouldn't of lost control and had anyone in his face.

@David Sutton I wouldn't hinge anything on the assistant though, as referee you're the team leader and take full responsibility for everything. He could she what was happening.

I think we all agree that the proper way should have been to stop play - all I can think is with the speediness that it happened the ref was looking more into the area than at the corner flag?

Agreed. A bit of sensible, quick thinking by the AR could well have prevented that situation. If the Ref is unhappy with that, he can deal with in the dressing room after.
Interestingly the AR DOES make some sort of signal but its not exactly clear what he his trying to convey!

Difficult for a referee, watched the video several times and for me given the the match situation looks a blatant act of gamesmanship by the defender.

Obviously the "easy" decision would have been to stop the game and speak to the "injured" player etc before allowing the corner to be taken.

On the flip side, far too much assumption by the defending side that the game had stopped, quick thinking by the corner taker and terrible defending. If in doubt clear the ball and then "politely ask :)" why play hasn't/wasn't stopped.

BRILLIANT!
Player goes down when he can easily hobble of the pitch (ie cheats)
Referee lets play go on - magic
That little cheat might think twice before pulling that again.
If good assessments are more important to you than what's good for the game you'll fit right in at the top level and good look to you. No need to hate on refs that have the right priorities.
I applaud what must have taken some guts

BRILLIANT!
Player goes down when he can easily hobble of the pitch (ie cheats)
Referee lets play go on - magic
That little cheat might think twice before pulling that again.
If good assessments are more important to you than what's good for the game you'll fit right in at the top level and good look to you. No need to hate on refs that have the right priorities.
I applaud what must have taken some guts

The fact is that no one would be talking about this if it was managed more pro-actively.

I don't see what management could be done,
Either he stopped play and let cheating prevail, or he didn't. I can't see what in between he could have done.
There are so many times a referee has to make a decision to do the right thing or just leave it and save himself the hassle: Jewelry, sock tape, sending off a player for DOGSO in the last minute of a 5-0 match, not allowing goalkeepers to wear the same colour, not cutting games short at 12-0.
Is this that different?

Surely the answer to this one would have been to stop play (and your watch), don't bother talking to the player but immediately wave the physio on - clearly the player is in trouble and needs treatment, otherwise he wouldn't have sat down. Unfortunately after treatment the player would then have had to leave the FOP, and as referee I wouldn't be allowing them back on until after the corner kick had been taken...

Back