The Ref Stop

Sweeper Keeper

Thankyou all for the healthy debate on this. I think it was maybe my mistake. I should have given yellow card with reason being “foul for careless tackle that has stopped a promising attack.”
But in my view it was just an “attack” there wasn’t much “promising” about it.

Only concern I have with this decision, is if the exact same thing happened again I would feel extremely harsh sending the keeper off for it.

In general I don’t like to yellow card keepers because it puts you in a position where if the first yellow is kind of soft, (which I believe this one would of been, if I had given the card) you set yourself up for having to be consistent and possibly dishing out another soft one and giving them their marching orders. And potentially spoiling the game.

One of those grey areas I guess. the “player” in me wants to keep 22 players on the pitch instead of robotically applying laws when it can maybe be argued either way.
"Not promising"?
Goalkeeper out of the penalty area, offence denies the attacker a run on goal . . . sounds promising.
Your statement about not wanting to caution a goalkeeper is in line with "the 'player' in you" paragraph.
To referee properly, you need to think and behave like a referee, not like a player.
Time to change!

The Ref Stop
Back