A&H

SWE - KOR

My first view was one look, same angle as ref, from left to right

Are we saying without var, this would not have been given? If so, incompetence is the correct word here
The play carried on until the ball reached the edge of the Swiss box before VAR intervened. Hence why I was asking, 'what would happen if Korea scored'? The answer entails a level of calamity I hope we don't see

The Referee Store
The play carried on until the ball reached the edge of the Swiss box before VAR intervened. Hence why I was asking, 'what would happen if Korea scored'? The answer entails a level of calamity I hope we don't see

Ah, I only saw the actual tackle. If they had scored, then the play would be pulled bk to the pk tho. ( i think!)

I'm watching the highlights.
OK it's a pen. VAR gets it "right". The ref waits for a word in his ear, play moves 70 yards... he blows, goes, watches the tape... it's a pen...
In real time it's a good shout but one of those that's easily missed.

So, yeah it's good use of VAR.

But (in addition to any practical criticisms) it's not what I want. It's not football. It's never going to be football in 999/1000 matches. The premier leagues in most countries will never be able to afford it or be able to staff it with competent enough officials. 2nd divisions, elite youth, never.

It's a toy. A billionaire's play thing. Leaves me feeling a bit hollow.

The premier leagues in most countries will never be able to afford it or be able to staff it with competent enough officials. 2nd divisions, elite youth, never.

Who knows. Maybe they'll do a widespread recruitment for referees and make it a professional job all the way down the tiers? They have the money for it, surely? (I doubt they'll go that route but hey, we can dream?)

Back