A&H

Surely that's a card ref

The Referee Store
Asking for a decision to benefit your team is asking for a decision to benefit your team.
If asking for a card is unsporting so is appealing for a penalty!

Asking for a decision to benefit your team is asking for a decision to benefit your team.
If asking for a card is unsporting so is appealing for a penalty!
The next time someone has the balls to ask me for a penalty, or a throw in for that matter.... Even asking the time they are getting a usb caution. That's it, my eyes are opened!

Disclaimer: early morning. May contain sarcasm and trace amounts of humour. :)

Asking for a card is a deliberate attempt to force the referee into an action that can lead (directly or indirectly) to an opponent being sent off. Appealing for a free kick, goal kick, corner kick etc does not carry anything like the same implications. The only one that comes close is appealing for a dive as that would also in effect, lead to a caution.

I can't speak for anyone else but as far as I'm concerned there is a significant difference between awarding a free kick (or goal kick etc) and issuing a caution.

The fact that so many different governing bodies have, at various times, recommended that this be a cautionable offence is a clear indication that it is widely considered within the game to be a more highly reprehensible form of behaviour than just appealing for a free kick etc. For me (and obviously to these other respected authorities) it does rise to another level. I'm not saying it should necessarily be a mandatory caution but I wouldn't have too much problem with it if it were.

No, you'd communicate. To be frank, I'd then ask that player to define it for me... and surely while that was happening, the restart would occur ;)

agreed, i'd also be doing that too (communicating i mean) but essentially he's indirectly asking you to caution a player. those of you that would show a yellow card to a player calling directly for a booking, would you be doing so for the indirect inference?
ref he's delaying
ref thats dissent
etc etc...

I think for me if they were to ask for a player to be cautionned or dissmissed time and time again then it's dissent and a YC but a couple of times a match doesn't really bother me. It's like some people were saying earlier about asking for free kicks or penalties that doesn't bother me particularly either as long as it isn't excessive. When it happens time and time and time again from one player, they yes, it's a yellow becuase they are effectively saying that you aren't doing your job properly, but not after one or two shouts for it. I don't know how many I would let them get away with becfore a caution because it depends on how the game is going and how aggressive it is.

The next time someone has the balls to ask me for a penalty, or a throw in for that matter.... Even asking the time they are getting a usb caution. That's it, my eyes are opened!

Disclaimer: early morning. May contain sarcasm and trace amounts of humour. :)

I don't understand. Surely my post made it clear that I don't consider appealing for a penalty a cautionable offence?

I can't speak for anyone else but as far as I'm concerned there is a significant difference between awarding a free kick (or goal kick etc) and issuing a caution.

What about a penalty?

I don't understand. Surely my post made it clear that I don't consider appealing for a penalty a cautionable offence?
I was being sarcastic, but in agreement with what you posted. :cool:

I must be losing my touch.

Back