A&H

Surely that's a card ref

Paul_Jones

Level 7 Referee
I'm not sure if this is in the correct section but....

What's everyones opinion on players asking for the opposition to be carded at sunday league level or any level for that matter?

The Referee Store
For me, wrong on every level!

Regardless of age, if players even hint of telling me what I should be doing, (rightly or wrongly) my standard response is "I don't tell you how to play football, don't tell me how to referee"!

Along similar lines one I really hate is 'you not having a word ref?' After a strong challenge.

'Actually, I will if you insist. Come here, you seem to have plenty to say for yourself. Now's the time to listen instead of talk. You haven't seen me kick the ball, so what makes you think I'm interested in how you'd like to referee? I'm going to tell you this once and once only: keep your opinions to yourself. If I hear you in my ear again you may well find yourself being shown a card. Now let's get on with it.'

if a player asks to see a card the referee should oblige, and show it to them, totally unacepptable

I tend to quite often encounter the opposite. Players don't want cards, even for the opposition. I often hear them say "Come on ref no cards."
I encountered it today when dealing with a very blatant OFFINABUS. The opposition players were all gutted for him as apparently he misses a semi-final.

Well, for a while it was deemed as unsporting behaviour. At least in UEFA. That lasted all of a season if I recall correctly...

Along similar lines one I really hate is 'you not having a word ref?' After a strong challenge.

'Actually, I will if you insist. Come here, you seem to have plenty to say for yourself. Now's the time to listen instead of talk. You haven't seen me kick the ball, so what makes you think I'm interested in how you'd like to referee? I'm going to tell you this once and once only: keep your opinions to yourself. If I hear you in my ear again you may well find yourself being shown a card. Now let's get on with it.'

Yep.
Some players are a walking cliché. I hear the same old ones practically every match:
"Foul throw ref"
"How many more times ref?"
"High foot ref"

I had one of the time-honoured ones thrown at me only this weekend during an open age match after having awarded one team a free kick. Cue the defender from 20 yards away:
"Ref, how is that one a free kick, and that one on me up there wasn't a free kick?" :rolleyes:
My response:
"Because the free kicks are the ones where I blow my whistle, pay attention mate for God's sake!!". :D
I do believe I even saw a couple of his own team mates smile at that. :)

Well, for a while it was deemed as unsporting behaviour. At least in UEFA. That lasted all of a season if I recall correctly...
Referees were instructed to crack down on it at the World Cup in 2002. So it seems FIFA also considered it as USB. As far as I'm aware, it has always been excoriated by most people within the game as a sneaky, underhanded and highly unsporting thing to do. Trying to get an opponent cautioned or potentially sent off by pressuring the referee has no place in the game IMHO, especially when (as is often the case) the opponent had done nothing deserving of a yellow card. As to why it's unsporting, I would say it's acting in a manner that shows a lack of respect for the game, not to mention a lack of respect for the referee and the opponent.

Pretty much what I was going by, except they never came out and said it's no longer not USB.
Oddly enough it appears to be a card again in the Australian A-League.
Sprinting up to the referee en-masse and flailing arms everywhere while jumping up and down and screaming - perfectly ok.
Mimic a card from some distance away without saying a word - referee will be in your face flashing the plastic before you know it
No clue......

Sprinting up to the referee en-masse and flailing arms everywhere while jumping up and down and screaming - perfectly ok.
Mimic a card from some distance away without saying a word - referee will be in your face flashing the plastic before you know it
No clue......
usb nice and simple

Why such a big deal out of it though?
The point I was making is that it's given a disproportionately high response given everything else players get away with.

aye, ive had it a few times but just found that a quick word that i'm making the decisions is enough,( or has been so far )
if they insist on wanting some action taken then its dissent for me and they can give me their name

I bloody hate that!. Sure fire way to get on my radar is to say those words

Meh, I think there are worse ways to dissent. Is appealing for a card really that different to appealing for a free kick?

No clue......

I'm with CBB, players do it a hundred times a game (4,000 if Chelsea). At one point, I thought Darren Fletcher's only job at Man Utd was to get other players sanctioned.
Appealing for a card is exactly the same as appealing for a free-kick and doesn't bother me a massive amount. Much bigger fish to fry in most games.
I don't need new things to have to caution for right now when dissent is basically taking over parks football.

It's not about appealing for fouls it's about asking for cautions. Also, this isn't a new thing, it's been around since before I began refereeing and I've been refereeing 5 ish years.

Back