A&H

Sunderland vs Newcastle United

The Referee Store
If they say it's an obvious mistake then they're having a good laugh there, it's very marginal in the call and I still say red is correct for it, don't see where people get yellow from...
Player running at speed could easily get to the ball and take around keeper and straight forward shot at goal ahead so saying obvious error I think takes the biscuit a bit...

Mmmmmm, think I'd have gone with yellow tbf, based on the attacker not having control of the ball and the speed they were both going it wouldn't take much of a nudge to knock him off balance.

As usual the FA back their referees completely. Disgraceful.

http://lasthighlight.com/sunderland-vs-newcastle-highlights-full-match/

Here you go. It's the angle from behind that most clearly shows the foul. I think yellow would have been right myself, or no card. I think referee made a rod for his own back by producing the red, and yellow would have been an easy sell. "Obvious error" from appeals board seems a bit harsh - but then, was he really applying law by giving the red? To be correctly applying law would mean he had decided it was "an obvious goalscoring opportunity" - and I'm just not sure how he could do that in this situation. It just wasn't obvious, even in real-time.

Anyways, all easier said than done, things to learn from, etc. He's a good ref and has made some cracking, slow-mo replay-vindicated decisions in recent games. Everybody's human.

Last edited:
Not in control of the ball at the time of contact also goalkeeper diving would have had an equal chance of playing the ball as the attacker.

IMO a yellow card was fine RP as the challenge was nowhere near the ball BUT.........McClaren was trying to argue that it was a fair shoulder barge ?? and not even a penalty :cry:

The Fa should have backed their referees decision , this opens more cans of worms for them

The call was marginal and you can argue it any way you want

If the Defender was so sure the keeper was getting there why did he barge Fletcher ?

McClaren is an idiot, we all know that, his opinion of referee's decisions against his own team is tainted by years of working with Alex Ferguson. Jermaine Jenus on MOTD thought the same, though I wonder how much football he has ever seen for one who spent most of his career on the physio's table.
That's poor from the FA to call the mistake 'obvious' because it belittles the referee. It was a mistake, but real-time, I totally understand why the referee made the call.

If the ball was stationary then maybe @Darius . But the pace with which it was going towards the keeper, makes this far from an OGSO for me. Didn't buy it in real time the first time around and none of the replays have changed my mind. Penalty plus YC as the foul was attempting to break up a promising attack

That compounds it not being DOGSO for me.

Ball not within playing distance of attacker, goalkeeper ready to pounce, direction of travel towards corner flag.

Add into that the speed of the ball played through (fair amount of pace on it) and that makes the decision concrete to me.

Penalty, caution, continue.

If they say it's an obvious mistake then they're having a good laugh there, it's very marginal in the call and I still say red is correct for it, don't see where people get yellow from...
Player running at speed could easily get to the ball and take around keeper and straight forward shot at goal ahead so saying obvious error I think takes the biscuit a bit...

It is a yellow because it was a tactical foul. Bobby Madley sent him off for DOGSO, which was incorrect as it looked like the keeper was going to get there first. Hence not an obvious goal scoring opportunity and therefore not a red card

I'm a Newcastle United fan and my reaction to the incident (although, like most of us, I'm only going off what Match Of The Day showed us) was that the referee got it right first time.
I genuinely think Fletcher (mackem scrote :D ) was getting to the ball before Collocinni and therefore would have had a chance to simply dink it past the GK. In my opinion, Collocinni's foul prevented this obvious goalscoring opportunity by virtue of his barge on Fletcher and so a red card (for me) was the correct call. :)

Back