A&H

Sunderland vs Chelsea - 1st goal offside?

Peter Grove

RefChat Addict
As I saw this, a Chelsea player (Cahill?) attempted to play a cut-back pass which bounced off a defender's shins to Diego Costa, who was in an offside position when the ball was last played by a team mate (see below). This did not seem to be a deliberate play of the ball by the defender and he did not exercise any level of control over the ball as far as I could tell. The ball was not headed towards the goal so it could not be seen as a deliberate save. Should this have been given offside? SunChels.jpg

The Referee Store
Yep, should be offside for gaining an advantage as the ball has rebounded off an opponent to the player who is in an offside position when it was played.

Although given about 50% of referees and 100% of players / pundits seem to think you can only be offside if the ball is played forward, I'm not surprised it wasn't really picked up on.

Yep, should be offside for gaining an advantage as the ball has rebounded off an opponent to the player who is in an offside position when it was played.

Although given about 50% of referees and 100% of players / pundits seem to think you can only be offside if the ball is played forward, I'm not surprised it wasn't really picked up on.

Did the ball go backwards in this goal? Didn't see it personally

Can't be offside if the player receiving the ball is behind the ball :confused:

Did the ball go backwards in this goal? Didn't see it personally

Can't be offside if the player receiving the ball is behind the ball :confused:

Yes, the ball was played backwards by Cahill, hit the defender and bounced into Costa's path. Costa was definitely ahead of the ball and beyond the second last defender, so I can't see how it isn't offside.

Yes, the ball was played backwards by Cahill, hit the defender and bounced into Costa's path. Costa was definitely ahead of the ball and beyond the second last defender, so I can't see how it isn't offside.

I see. Sounds like one you have to see. Hard to tell much from a screenshot :p

I see. Sounds like one you have to see. Hard to tell much from a screenshot :p
What do you mean - that you can't tell from that screen shot that Costa is in an offside position as Cahill plays the ball? Or that you can't see that the ball rebounded off the defender? If the latter, then no you can't see that aspect of it but it was fairly obvious that the defender did not deliberately play the ball.
Did the ball go backwards in this goal? Didn't see it personally.

Can't be offside if the player receiving the ball is behind the ball
Once again, the screen shot shows Costa is clearly ahead of the ball.

I know a number of referees have made up some 'interpretation' that if the defender significantly changes the direction of the ball then it isn't offside.....by the description this sounds like a clear offside.

Back