A&H

Substitution ball in play

In this particular instance, probably but grammar is important in making sure your meaning is clearly understood.

As the saying goes: "Grammar - it's the difference between knowing your shìt and knowing you're shìt."

My other two favourite sayings about using words correctly are the following.
But everybody did know what I meant peter .

Best if everyone moves on now hey !!

The Referee Store
Thank you this is very helpful information for me to go forwards with and I have strongly taken this on board ! Combative is correct I understand but when I’m having a good game and I still have a manager giving me full grief I tend to think this makes one combative does it not ?
It seems that since starting my ref journey parents and coaches EVERY Sunday just spoil everything not only for me but themselves and particularly the boys ! But ONE thank you for the advice

Hi Zimmyman, firstly, this is exactly the place to vent and to ask questions, keep them coming. I don't ask many on here but have had similar scenarios that others have had and have improved my knowledge and practice following advice on here.

I would advise you change your mindset and eliminate this combative side of your game. It will only end up in a heated exchange, a report to the FA or you walking away from the game. I had a game midweek, U14, good standard, first v second. Both teams competitive, end to end stuff ended up 4 3. I had probably my best match this season, controlled the game from start to finish, spoke to the players throughout and would say 99% of my decisions were spot on. 2 mins to go, 2 players battling for the ball, ball ends up rolling out for a goal kick, no protest from either player but then competitive dad of the year shouts 'can you not use your whistle referee, open your eyes'. I just gave the coach a look (the kind your wife gives you when you know you've done something wrong), he held up his hand apologetically and went to talk to the parent.

You will never stop it from happening. The only thing you can control is how you handle it.

Remember, especially at junior football, you're there to referee the children, not the adults. Speak to team managers when there's a vocal parent and ask him to manage his line so you don't have to.

Best of luck moving forward

Back