A&H

Sub Woe

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
Did my 5-to-4 seminar evening earlier in the week. One thing that came to mind when talking about something related, is the following scenario...
Which is worth thinking about, cos a nasty banana skin to avoid

Team wants to make a sub. Board goes up... say 12 on for 2
Players on the FOP misread the board and say... number 7 thinks its him to go off for some reason. He decides to leave the FOP on the far side 'nearest point' and AR1 allows the sub onto the FOP. Substitution complete. Coaches then realise a mistake has been made

Just a scenario which I can see happening quite easily and one to think about for anyone who doesn't like headaches
Ever experienced anything similar happen?

The Referee Store
Did my 5-to-4 seminar evening earlier in the week. One thing that came to mind when talking about something related, is the following scenario...
Which is worth thinking about, cos a nasty banana skin to avoid

Team wants to make a sub. Board goes up... say 12 on for 2
Players on the FOP misread the board and say... number 7 thinks its him to go off for some reason. He decides to leave the FOP on the far side 'nearest point' and AR1 allows the sub onto the FOP. Substitution complete. Coaches then realise a mistake has been made

Just a scenario which I can see happening quite easily and one to think about for anyone who doesn't like headaches
Ever experienced anything similar happen?

I would work on basis the board is not the gospel on who is on or off, its merely a communication tool.
so, my thinking would be to remove the board from the equation

has played resarted? if so, thats that
if not, am allowing 2 to go off in place of 7, the coach/team in question are the word on who is coming off, not the board.

I would work on basis the board is not the gospel on who is on or off, its merely a communication tool.
so, my thinking would be to remove the board from the equation

has played resarted? if so, thats that
if not, am allowing 2 to go off in place of 7, the coach/team in question are the word on who is coming off, not the board.
Which is the common sense thing to do, if play has not restarted. Strictly speaking however, the substitution is unequivocally complete when the substitute is allowed to enter the FOP
Whatever happens, the R and AR are gonna take a serious hit to their observations. On top of the headache on the side-line
It's a scenario that could happen quite easily IMO

Which is the common sense thing to do, if play has not restarted. Strictly speaking however, the substitution is unequivocally complete when the substitute is allowed to enter the FOP
Whatever happens, the R and AR are gonna take a serious hit to their observations. On top of the headache on the side-line
It's a scenario that could happen quite easily IMO
All about alertness and awareness.
When AR do you look at the board or do you ask specifically who is coming on and who is coming off.
Should be the latter.
Again, if player goes over to the other side, is that the player going off over there? Yes ref - on you go son.

The good news is many of the clubs that use the board also use a tannoy system so it's a very difficult mistake to make but one in which, if it is made, can easily be absolved of responsibility.

Has this ever happened or is this just the FA coming up with the will never happen scenarios to fry the brains of prospective L4s?

All about alertness and awareness.
When AR do you look at the board or do you ask specifically who is coming on and who is coming off.
Should be the latter.
Again, if player goes over to the other side, is that the player going off over there? Yes ref - on you go son.

The good news is many of the clubs that use the board also use a tannoy system so it's a very difficult mistake to make but one in which, if it is made, can easily be absolved of responsibility.

Has this ever happened or is this just the FA coming up with the will never happen scenarios to fry the brains of prospective L4s?
I dream up my own nightmares. The FA just planted a seed talking about something else

I dream up my own nightmares. The FA just planted a seed talking about something else
I think this is likely to remain in dream land although not beyond the realms of Impossibility, just next door. 😁

Strictly speaking however, the substitution is unequivocally complete when the substitute is allowed to enter the FOP
I liken this to a case when a throw in (for example) has already been taken just before you want to allow a substitution to take place. Play has already restarted. But you usually double peep, stop and do the sub. How do you restart? Strictly speaking it should be a dropped ball.

If the wrong player goes off, even on the far side, the coach or manager is going to tell you well before play gets restarted. Especially without a 4th official as you have to wait for AR1 to do his paperwork and get back in position.

If the wrong player goes off, even on the far side, the coach or manager is going to tell you well before play gets restarted
I wasn't referring to the 999/1000 or even 9999/10000 occurrence
Strange things happen all the time. This is potentially one of them, albeit unlikely

I have had it happen, but my games have never used a board. I'm afraid my subs are word of mouth, yelled across the field, and I have unlimited subs in my games of u6 through u19 and middle/high school.

So, a mistake is just followed by another sub request on the next opportunity.

I guess, since I never had it happen, I probably would put it in the game report and that, if restart was done, the sub was complete.

Don't give the FA any ideas for exam questions.
There's a shortage as it is 🤣

Last edited:
Back