A&H

Stupid things players say #9,453

RegalRef

Politically Incorrect
Had a tough game this afternoon.

Nothing much until I gave a penalty against the home team on 41 minutes which inevitably affected match control.

But anyway, hay-ho a penalty is a penalty.

Before the penalty had a couple of instances of needless tapping the ball away from the away team, both followed by loud warnings to not do it again. Third time was a different player, and he was cautioned.

When I called him in and reached for the notebook he was protesting, and came out with 'but you can't book me ref, I've done nothing wrong so far until that'. I reminded him it was stupid and he knew the chance he took when he did it.

A week ago before a goal kick I heard a defender ask me to look for offside. Reminded him you can't be from a GK and he said 'since when'.

Anybody heard any other pearlers recently?

The Referee Store
Great one from an attacker this morning.

Corner was taken and the ball went out before coming back in, so I blew for the GK. He shouts, "but ref, it came out and back in". Before I could react, the defender shouts, "so it was out then, wasn't it?". Cue laughter from both sets of players!

Had a player shouting his name loudly as the ball dropped 5 yards away (to an opponent) and made a mental note to say something at the next break. Before I can do that, a similar situation but this time he shouts, "Night, night". On neither occasion was the opponent's control affected. So I thought I'd make my point and get on woth the game. Cue the player shouting and screaming, "I can't say my own name, I can't say my own name", starting to remove his shirt and storming towards the touchline shouting that he's going off and doesn't want to play anymore. I see his manager and say to him very quickly, "This player is leaving the field with my permission" at which point the manager gives me a nod of acknowledgement and a resigned look on his face.

I felt for the manager as his team were a difficult bunch until 2 cautions for dissent and 2 goals shut them up.

Had a player shouting his name loudly as the ball dropped 5 yards away (to an opponent) and made a mental note to say something at the next break. Before I can do that, a similar situation but this time he shouts, "Night, night". On neither occasion was the opponent's control affected. So I thought I'd make my point and get on woth the game. Cue the player shouting and screaming, "I can't say my own name, I can't say my own name", starting to remove his shirt and storming towards the touchline shouting that he's going off and doesn't want to play anymore. I see his manager and say to him very quickly, "This player is leaving the field with my permission" at which point the manager gives me a nod of acknowledgement and a resigned look on his face.

I felt for the manager as his team were a difficult bunch until 2 cautions for dissent and 2 goals shut them up.

What strange behaviour!

If I were a coach they'd have to be like Messi to make allowances for that sort of behaviour!

'But I touched the ball ref' yes you did I said, luckily for you otherwise I would have deemed it wreck-less, as it I deeming it careless, FK and get on with. Player comes up and the end and politely thanks me for explaining my decision, it made sense and he would consider that when he was challenging in the future, this was from a 16 year old, I think we need him cloned!

I gave a foul throw in an under 12's game. Foot right up in the air behind the thrower. An older spectator shouted out, "I thought it was the linesman's job to watch the feet!" A quick, "Thought wrong then mate," did the trick !

Back