A&H

Stuart Atwell

If anyone wants confirmation just search Stuart Attwell on YouTube. :eek:

The Referee Store
I have seen some of the mistakes. Whether you like him or not, you have to admire the mans balls for carrying on despite it all.

I say good on him, if the article is correct and he has had consistent good performances at that level then he deserves a second chance.

Having said that if his performances were as bad as suggested it is surprising he didn't get demoted further.

He's just denied Newcastle a pen, looked like one live and replays showed Kolarov got no where near the ball. Wonder how Pardew will be at the end if City equalise.

@DanCohen17 i think the FA are majorley to blame here - the thing is at a tender age of 25 he was thrust into the Premier League without gaining any real experiance at a lower level in 10 years he went from mini soccor to Select Group
Absolute rubbish that his age was the reason. Michael Oliver was the same age when he gained his SG status and has gone on to show just how incredibly talented he is as a referee. Why? Because he listens and isn't arrogant. Fact, Attwell is. He thought he'd made it. He thought he was the greatest referee in the history of football. This isn't rumour, it's well known from those who are/were at that level.

Not sure the derogatory comments are needed from fellow refs on here. Gone a little too far some people I think.

Good luck to him.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion Herts. No-one (myself included) has over-stepped the mark and slagged him off randomly.

Penalty and a red card ? Had a good game Barr that tho lol
Hmm, just the massive KMI then...?!

Got largely shafted the first time around, actually for many of the points @DanCohen17 makes. Should have been pulled out of the firing line early on to allow his confidence to recover. This was an option not taken because it was seen by some that their "pet project" (to quote) had failed.

Could have done a lot better but seriously lacked support too. Rob a man of confidence and he goes one of two ways. Either retreats into his shell, timidly, or develops a persecution complex - me against the world. Wonder if this is what happened and why he appeared so arrogant?

Can never say that the"Ghost goal" was his fault - The assistant told him it was in, he's flagged for it, Attwell reacted, just like any of us would when an assistant is so insistent that it's in. In fact the bigger story there (conveniently ignored) is that despite Stephen Hunt later saying it was the worst he'd seen, neither he nor any other Reading player said a word at the time.

Reactions: SM
Why would Steven Hunt be trying to hook the ball back into play if it was a goal?? Simple common sense!

Whilst I do agree, to an extent, that he should have been pulled from the firing line, he didn't help himself! Controversy continued to follow him, wherever he was placed!

Also, he was arrogant before the ghost goal. This isn't just me rumour spreading, it's what I've heard from a number of PGMOL officials who worked with him

I think dan means that it's not a rumour because it's true

Technically not rumour spreading....as long as it is true, of course

Now, if only we can hear it from the horses' mouth.......

Not that it's a ...........

Just to further one of my points made earlier in the thread, The FA/PL/PGMOL need to be VERY careful with Michael Oliver at the moment.

Michael has the potential, the background, the support structure & the mentality to become the 'main man' after his fellow Northumbrian Mr Clattenburg. However, he's still a very young ref and needs to be treated far better than Attwell was (yes, I accept Attwell was not handled well!).

If not, Oli will end up down the same track as Attwell and will be a massive fail on the part of the hierarchy!

I'm posting this after his game at the weekend (and a few of his games recently).

It could be worth taking him out the firing line for a bit (nothing games, FL matches & 4th man on the big games with Clatts/Dean/Atko in the middle)

Don't we think that the problem may be that these young guys are being over scrutinised due to their age and experience ?

The pundits and Managers jump on it and it filters down to the fans

I have seen Mr Webb , Atkinson and the other top ref s make howlers over the years and by the end of the weekend its over and were onto the next 1

I know Atwell made a few

But Oliver for me doesn't really do much wrong week to week ....maybe being too cool and relaxed when making the big red and yellow calls as body language never changes

We need young refs , and they are not being given the chance to develop

Everyone makes mistakes in every job

It makes me laugh a little when there are criticism of refereeing colleagues, even for the men at the top of the game.

Who among us can put their hand up and say we never make errors from time to time. Always get everything 100%. Who here never gets local teams and their supporters who think we are a clueless buffoon? Our games are played and we walk away. Right or wrong, it's done and finished. For the most part, we don't have the extra stress of 40+ cameras tracking and chronicling our every decision so that we can endure slow motion trial by tv pundit later. And then the tabloids rip in. And then the fans have their say.

:)

Who would be a referee eh?

i never make a mistake ... im the ref, my decision is final and correct - so im never wrong lol

Nor do we get 80k a year plus expenses, or whatever the going rate is these days, monkey.

I don't hear Atwell complaining....not yet, at least

Back