A&H

Strangest penalty ever

The Referee Store
I don't think I'd give that. Spirit of the law - as far as I'm concerned the GK briefly stopped the ball moving before he threw it in the goal.

You could argue he never actually stopped it as it seems he fumbles it and at the same time assumes he has saved it and ignores it's ending destination.

I don't think I'd give that. Spirit of the law - as far as I'm concerned the GK briefly stopped the ball moving before he threw it in the goal.

So what if it hits the post or bar and spins back in? I don't think you can apply 'spirit' to this one.

I don't agree with that. He didn't even catch it. He fumbled it and cheered. No justification in disallowing this goal here. Just a silly keeper.

Whatever happened to no surprises? He saved it. The kicker (and spectators) thought he'd saved it. He didn't have to touch it again. I'm not even sure he fumbled it - just tried to do what a cricketer would do having made a catch - throw it in the air. I think this new VAR which can tell the difference between when the boot hits the ball and when the ball leaves the boot might show it stopped moving ( I guess it means the ball is actually stationary for a moment between those events). Define stop.... Perhaps "stopped moving" should be as flexible as GK holding for the ball for no more than six seconds.

Go on, seriously - imagine a world cup final shoot-out, keeper makes the "winning" save and is halfway down the pitch to his team mates before the ball which he's knocked away from goal bounces down and into the empty goal. So maybe time to change the definition of when the kick is "completed".

No surprises? Why do people only ever think there's one team when they say that?
Whatever happened to the laws of the game?
At this stage there are numerous examples of keepers 'saving' the ball, have it bounce up an out, off the crossbar or whatever, keeper runs off to celebrate and the ball goes into the goal. Officials at the highest levels have all agreed these are good goals - if the keeper hasn't stopped the ball, it's a goal.
And the keeper here most certainly has not stopped the ball.
You certainly wouldn't consider this a catch in cricket either - the ball was never securely in his possession.
He didn't catch the ball but for some reason (youth) thought he did enough anyway. He clearly didn't.

Back