A&H

Stopping play for replacing boots, shinguards, tying laces according to law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really sure what you're disagreeing with here to be honest?

I often do as you allude to above but the OP was asking the question in relation to the LOTG and in particular what an Observer might think.

Irrespective of whatever we do or don't do, there is no provision in the LOTG for a referee to "stop play" (ie using the whistle or otherwise) in order that somebody can do up their laces. If you were being observed and were seen to do it, you could have no qualms about being marked down for AOL because of it.
It was this: "When the ball is out of play you can ask the players if they'll hold up a few seconds to allow someone time to do it - but neither they nor you are under any obligation to do so."

When the ball is out of play, if the ref tells a player to wait, then they have to wait. They are absolutely under obligation to do so. If I am a ref and I want a player to take a free kick on the whistle while I get into position, if I am AR and I see that my ref is talking/warning someone... these kinds of situations happen... if someone is tying up their shoelaces in front of a throw in, I'll manage that, no matter how insignificant it might seem, and there is only a one in a million chance that someone slides in on a player tying their laces... but still... no surprises.

Minimal interference is the overriding idea - but there are little moments when we should guide the game to make sure there is not a sh*t storm seconds later from something technical/daft/officialdom. IMHO ;)

The Referee Store
It was this: "When the ball is out of play you can ask the players if they'll hold up a few seconds to allow someone time to do it - but neither they nor you are under any obligation to do so."

When the ball is out of play, if the ref tells a player to wait, then they have to wait. They are absolutely under obligation to do so. If I am a ref and I want a player to take a free kick on the whistle while I get into position, if I am AR and I see that my ref is talking/warning someone... these kinds of situations happen... if someone is tying up their shoelaces in front of a throw in, I'll manage that, no matter how insignificant it might seem, and there is only a one in a million chance that someone slides in on a player tying their laces... but still... no surprises.

Minimal interference is the overriding idea - but there are little moments when we should guide the game to make sure there is not a sh*t storm seconds later from something technical/daft/officialdom. IMHO ;)

Mate, you can argue the toss on this all day. There is nothing in the LOTG that says so and so neither you nor the players have any obligation to do it.

Mate, you can argue the toss on this all day. There is nothing in the LOTG that says so and so neither you nor the players have any obligation to do it.
So, you’ve never stood over the ball at a FK and told the taker it’s on the whistle to give you time to get into position?

So, you’ve never stood over the ball at a FK and told the taker it’s on the whistle to give you time to get into position?

Of course.
I think you're missing the point.
And frankly, I just can't be arsed to repeat it again!! 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back