A&H

Stoke vs WBA

SM

The avuncular one
there can be no complaint from Adam after his stamp. However, was Affellay harshly treated for the straight red for a weak slap to the face of gardener as reaction to gardener making some contact to Affellays face?

Especially when you look at what Huth got away with in the Bournemouth - Leicester game (kicked the ball with force into a downed opponents face and then handed off another player to the face straight way afterwards?

A&H International
You've answered your own question. It was a weak slap, but a slap non the less, and not once, but twice because he missed the first one.

as @Jacko says the intention of slapping him was there as he missed and tried again, Straight red for me for (edit) Violent Conduct. any physical strike to an opponent like this should be shown where the showers are, no ifs or buts nip it and put it to bed right away or there will be problems later in the match like the foul in the box by the same player where the penalty should of been given.

There was a lot of red cards yesterday and hope I am talking about the same game :)

Last edited:
Think the problem on this comes from the differential treatment given to Gardner and Affelay. Both raised hands to their opponents' face .. and whilst Affelay was a little more 'vigorous' I think both offences deserved the same punishment. Personally I'd have gone Yellow for both but could see the case for Red.

Robert Huth on the other hand .. was IMO one of the most obvious reds you'll see this season! Incomprehensible decision ....

Gardner put his hand on his cheek. Not sure why.

Afalley lashed out twice. Garnder would of been booked anyway for his challenge. You cant keep a player on the pitch after they have reacted like that. You lose all credibility for any other acts of VC.

Gardner put his hand on his cheek. Not sure why.

Afalley lashed out twice. Garnder would of been booked anyway for his challenge. You cant keep a player on the pitch after they have reacted like that. You lose all credibility for any other acts of VC.
Lashed out is phrasing it very strongly.

The problem Is again consistency. Gardner instigated the problem - Affellay responded in kind with a little more vigour but absolutely no force or chance of harm (unless his finger caught him in the eye). Only one man sent off.

I agree that it's a possible red for Affellay, might have been able to manage it with a caution but hey ho. Real question; where is the consistency?

As a former footballer, what Gardner did was clever. Afellay reacted after the earlier reducer put him onto the advertising hoardings, he's clearly pissed. The foul's a yellow all day, but all Gardner does is touch Afellay. It's not violent. A slap, however, is the very definition of violent. Gardner knows he's going to get a reaction, he does, it's clever play.

Lashed out is phrasing it very strongly.

The problem Is again consistency. Gardner instigated the problem - Affellay responded in kind with a little more vigour but absolutely no force or chance of harm (unless his finger caught him in the eye). Only one man sent off.

I agree that it's a possible red for Affellay, might have been able to manage it with a caution but hey ho. Real question; where is the consistency?

There is no issue. He is on the floor at Gardner's knees and has been fouled tactically. Gardner has touched his cheek.

Affellay reacted needlessly. And attempted to strike CG not one but twice.

Welcome to the premier league Afflellay, guess the pressure of playing West Brom at the Brittania got to him.

It was a laughable attempt at a slap in fairness!

Laugh at it all you like but at the detriment to your Match control, application of law, decision making and accurac.

Leaving him on will be a season of no promotion or the threat of demotion.

It was childish and pathetic, but still violent conduct all the same. Good to see strong refereeing, unlike @ Bournemouth as already mentioned.

The other option not being mentioned is to see Gardner's 'face touching' as unnecessary goading and therefore UB. So give him a Yellow for the initial foul, another Yellow for the afters and that way both players involved will end up off the pitch. I just really struggle with the idea that what Gardner did is 'clever play' .. it's devious & manipulative and as a referee I'll always try to support those trying to play football rather than wind up their opposition

The other option not being mentioned is to see Gardner's 'face touching' as unnecessary goading and therefore UB. So give him a Yellow for the initial foul, another Yellow for the afters and that way both players involved will end up off the pitch. I just really struggle with the idea that what Gardner did is 'clever play' .. it's devious & manipulative and as a referee I'll always try to support those trying to play football rather than wind up their opposition

No because if Affelay didn't lash out you'd just caution CG. By taking your approach your evening things up based on the reaction of the stoke player.

man alive, football can learn so much from Rugby. This whole topic shows why football is in decline. I am not saying anybody is wrong in their opinion, in fact according to the LOTG most are 100%, but football is such a prissie, ***** filled, cheaters game where play acting and simulation is rewarded on occasion in causing players to be sent off and that it is disgraceful at times.

Football needs a kick in the ass to grow up.

If this happened in rugby what would happen? Nothing. It would be laughed at. A slap? His team mates would be taking the urine out of him for months.

man alive, football can learn so much from Rugby. This whole topic shows why football is in decline. I am not saying anybody is wrong in their opinion, in fact according to the LOTG most are 100%, but football is such a prissie, ***** filled, cheaters game where play acting and simulation is rewarded on occasion in causing players to be sent off and that it is disgraceful at times.

Football needs a kick in the ass to grow up.

If this happened in rugby what would happen? Nothing. It would be laughed at. A slap? His team mates would be taking the urine out of him for months.

Go and referee rugby then...

:D Jacko, behave with your trolling (amateur level I might add). Everyone on here is entitled to their opinion. You don't like mine? Tough patootie. I think football has become incredibly soft and this is reinforced by some namby pamby and often vague laws which make little sense and are applied with vast difference between different referees at different levels. This weekends PL highlights show huge inconsistencies and support what I am saying. My opinion fella. You don't have to like or in anyway agree with it, but you have to accept I entitled to it.

My thoughts....
Stoke v WBA - The Stoke player should certainly be sent off, if the WBA player's finger caught the Stoke player then technically he should be sent off too.
Stoke v WBA - Pathetic than Mark Hughes can defend Charlie Adam. Adam gives himself away by immediately looking to see if the AR saw the stamp
Bournemouth v Leicester - How was Robert Houth not sent-off, as good a case for retrospective punishment and a big bollocking for the referee as I have ever seen

Back