A&H

Starting out at 41

Grove_Mackem

Level 7 Referee
Morning all, just after a bit of advice on what to expect on the course I'm booked on in April (Manchester FA) and how others who have got into reffing older than is typically usual have found it starting out?
I've played Saturday/Sunday League level football from the age of 8 through to the end of this season at 41 and I've finally decided to call it a day playing wise due to being put on my backside by lads 20 years younger than me far to regularly and the injuries starting to take their toll a bit. I've reffed a few games over the years when our assigned ref hasn't been available and was surprised as to how much I actually enjoyed it so thought it would be a decent thing to do to keep in the game and also keep my fitness levels up.
Lads/lasses who have started out late, what's a realistic target for promotion through the levels? I understand that being involved in the higher levels (Football League etc) are out of the question but is it a possibility to get up towards County level football i that time? Also I'm just interested in hearing about any common experiences I may come across both positive and negative?

The Referee Store
if you're good enough and fit enough, there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't make it to level 3, and even beyond - if that's an ambition. At that level you'd be reffing semi pro football and running the line on conference north / south (or above if you're good enough).

An older gentleman, 48 i think, (@lincs22 or @Brian Hamilton would be able to confirm his age and experience more accurately than me) was promoted to that level in west riding this year.

Might take you 4/5/6 years but you've more time than you think.

I was even later in starting. Did my referee course when I was 47. I just assumed I would be able to do local league football. Once I realised that promotion was an option in spite of age I decided to apply after I had completed my first season. I did 7/6 and then 6/5 in successive seasons. I can thoroughly recommend going for promotion. It keeps you involved in ongoing training and development. You are assigned observers who can provide a useful insight into how you are performing (you may not always agree with them!). You could comfortably get to a level 4 referee if you so wish. That will allow you games at step 5. It really is down to you as to how far you want to go.

Brilliant thanks for the replies, that's really reassuring because I thought 41 would have been a good 10 years too late to make a real fist of climbing the ladder.

I started at 42
Commencing my first promotion attempt following just under three years at Level 7. No rush for me
My school of thought is that playing and attending football matches for many years, is the most important prerequisite to make a good referee. The down side for such a candidate however, is their limited shelf life. Going to games was once great, I was always enthusiastic about playing. Refereeing will get your attention, as it has mine ;)

Age is nothing so go for it, as others of said, if your good enough your good enough. I know of a few refs who have got level 4 post 50. There was a referee promoted to the football league at 52 a couple of years back.

An older gentleman, 48 i think, (@lincs22 or @Brian Hamilton would be able to confirm his age and experience more accurately than me) was promoted to that level in west riding this year.

There were 2 referee over 45 promoted from the Yorkshire Pool this year, one from West Riding; one from East Riding. Both had been on the Pool (L4) for 5 years.

could comfortably get to a level 4 referee if you so wish. That will allow you games at step 5. It really is down to you as to how far you want to go.

Depends on where in the county you are. L4's in the north mainly do Step 7 football, there is some Step 6 leagues.

Well done for taking up the whistle. I have had spells as someone young and as someone older than yourself. Lots will give you advice. You will find what works for you as we are all different but my advice would be to be on top of the laws, referee as a referee and not a former player. Be careful about empathy with players. Yes, be courteous and clear but apply the laws. Be firm on dissent. Some players will not like that but the alternative is worse. I wish you the best!!

I enjoyed my time from around 39, forget the top table, it’s a poorly paid hobby at very best, say what you see and @&£/ the consequences... and enjoy the ride.

Again, great thread.
To try and add something different as there’s already great stuff here...

I started at 39. I had way to much empathy with players, my first reaction to incidents was disappointment for about 50 games! It was much harder than I expected in the beginning, finding my own personality.

If, and it’s a big if because it’s not for everyone, if you like/love it, do work as an assistant. It is the “secret” to accelerate your development.

Go for it and enjoy it. I started at 42 and got level 4 at 49. Lost it at 50 down to fitness test but got back to level 4 at 52. If you're in Manchester area you'll be looking at step 7 or 6 for level 4 but the journey up there will be good. Good luck, hope you enjoy it.

Go for it I done my course aged 67 I’m level 7 and fit enough!! I’ve reffed every Sunday since September some time twice !! Love it to bits
And just wished I’d started earlier so promotion is out for me but I’ve still a lot to give to youth football and will go in until I drop
So you are a spring chicken in my opinion good luck with everything

Go for it I done my course aged 67 I’m level 7 and fit enough!! I’ve reffed every Sunday since September some time twice !! Love it to bits
And just wished I’d started earlier so promotion is out for me but I’ve still a lot to give to youth football and will go in until I drop
So you are a spring chicken in my opinion good luck with everything
Go Zimmerman 👍👍👍

59 when I started, now 61. Played and coached for years and wanted to stay active and involved in the game. It's great to be mentored by guys 40 years younger than you! A couple of real benefits as well if you decide to start later in life. One is you tend to be more thick-skinned so its easier to shrug off the inevitable negative aspects of the hobby. Another is the grey hair commands a little more respect. (at least initially) Also, our local refs coach told me that watching refs on TV is a great way to learn, so I can now tell the wife I'm only doing homework as I settle in for yet another EPL or A-League game.

Like other contributors I thought I'd be assigned junior / youth games (which I'm quite happy with) but in my second season its virtually all mens and womens seniors. In my region in Oz we are normally allocated 3 or 4 games on a Saturday (mix of lines and centers) so by the end of the day you know

If your old enough and good enough then there should be no boundaries to promotion, even bleep tests which prove nothing regards refereeing ability!

It's great to be mentored by guys 40 years younger than you!

In my case sometimes 25 years younger than me, but I totally agree. I work with much younger guys who have had far more training and spent more quality time with better refs and coaches and they are smart and intuitive. They have been in enough mentoring sessions to know how to handle criticism and give constructive criticism. TBH I think it's brilliant.

I know plenty of referees who started out relatively late in life (40s and 50s) and they're still going strong in their 70s.

If you have the ability and the fitness then age is no barrier, although you'll never make the FIFA list (if you wanted to try and get that far).

Back