A&H

Spurs vs Chelsea

The AR should crab towards the corner flag, no set number of steps they should. Indicate foul and crab all the way at least until the referee has acknowledged the signal.
Or take two (I ask for exaggerated) steps to the left to indicate outside.
The problem I see with the method as is written is if the referee decides no pen, then AR is potentially out of position but 2 steps could easily be missed and leave the R with impression AR doesn't know and R takes the decision.
This is why I tend to ask for "eye contact, then one biiiiig exaggerated step". No way I can misinterpret that as normal crabbing.

The Referee Store
This is why I tend to ask for "eye contact, then one biiiiig exaggerated step". No way I can misinterpret that as normal crabbing.
I usually ask for their in/out signal post me blowing my whistle.
As I am and will continue to look at them as that happens I don't need to immediately point to spot or free kick.

Sequence = offence > whistle > confirm restart > signal.

The AR should crab towards the corner flag, no set number of steps they should. Indicate foul and crab all the way at least until the referee has acknowledged the signal.
Or take two (I ask for exaggerated) steps to the left to indicate outside.
The problem I see with the method as is written is if the referee decides no pen, then AR is potentially out of position but 2 steps could easily be missed and leave the R with impression AR doesn't know and R takes the decision.
I understand your point, James, but if the whistle hasn't yet sounded, crabbing towards the corner flag may also leave the AR out of position if play continues. The two steps are used by most referees I watch/observe, but to reiterate they are only made after the whistle and with eye contact.
The most recent (and interesting) example was two weeks ago when the AR signalled an offence by the defence close to the edge of the area, the referee looked for advantage but it didn't accrue so he whistled for the free kick/penalty. With eye contact, and with the referee now close to the location having caught up, the AR moved level with the front of the area, then took two steps to his right. The location was too far for a verbal exchange, and comms not in use. We ended with the right decision.

Think the USA used to do flag across the waist.

Yes, we used to do the "apron" as some of us called it. That went away some time ago. Now, we generally ask our ARs to go to the corner flag if the foul is inside the area and either stand still or take a couple of steps toward the center line if it's outside.

To @JamesL 's point, if there's going to be a DFK restart, it's going to be ceremonial 99% of the time from the edge of the area. The foul outside of the area will be a SPA USB caution, a DOGSO red, or the attackers will ask for 10 yards. So in my opinion, the AR's movement will be a proper and discreet enough signal to provide information to the center. I follow this in my pregames, with the additional item that standing still says to me, "I don't know - you're on your own". I tell my ARs in my pregame that I will blow the whistle for the foul, and if I'm unsure I will delay my DFK vs penalty signal and stare the AR down HARD. If I do things right, I'll wait until I see the AR move before giving the DFK or penalty signal.

The magic book now addresses what ARs are supposed to doin the Body Language, Communication, and Whistle section at the end. It says "visibly move down the touchline towards the corner flag" or "make a clear movement along the touchline toward the halfway line."

As other's said, the fig leaf/apron used to be used in the US for PK

And before that it was the more subtle flag between the legs pointing down (which may have gone away due to the other images that inspired . . .)

It maybe appeared alongside that wavy hand thing when lino telling folk the flagged person came back from an offside position
No, in fact it's pretty much the opposite - while the FA told AR's not to use the flag across the chest signal, this is based on official guidance and a joint recommendation from several football authorities to do precisely that.

Highly appropriate in my opinion because when this was first brought in, virtually nobody except match officials would have been aware of the change and this was an easily understood gesture to explain what was going on.

Here is the relevant wording from the memo issued jointly by the FA, EFL, Premier League and PGMOL.

It may be helpful for the AR to use their left hand in a 'right to left' gesture/arc signal to help communicate that the player has moved back from an offside position.

This should be a simple visual communication and not exaggerated or repeated numerous times.

The full document is available in the "Resources" section of this site.

https://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/a...ffside-offence-in-the-players-own-half.14653/

No, in fact it's pretty much the opposite - while the FA told AR's not to use the flag across the chest signal, this is based on official guidance and a joint recommendation from several football authorities to do precisely that.

Highly appropriate in my opinion because when this was first brought in, virtually nobody except match officials would have been aware of the change and this was an easily understood gesture to explain what was going on.

Here is the relevant wording from the memo issued jointly by the FA, EFL, Premier League and PGMOL.

The full document is available in the "Resources" section of this site.

https://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/a...ffside-offence-in-the-players-own-half.14653/

not what I meant at all. I meant the standard, he was offside then came back to receive the ball.
Not the newish offside given in own half instruction.

even so, its English, which runs in tandem with my original point about the flag over chest for a pk running alongside my intended point, the wavy arm signsl when someone has came back from an offside.

Back