A&H

Spectator "REF, REF, REF, REF"

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Had a decent u15 girls game today, nothing exciting happened. However there was one chap watching who just would not shut up. Normally I wont say anything to or acknowledge spectators, as I'm there for the match not to justify my decisions. If I'm close by and the situation allows I might have a quick tongue in cheek word with them to raise a smile. But more often than not I wont.

But today this guy was literally shouting over and over again about decisions against his team. Really loudly "REF REF REF REF hows that a corner? Hows that a freekick? Thats never offside." That sort of thing. Towards the end I even (to my own annoyance in hindsight) acknowledged a couple of his queries but justifying what I'd done. I regret doing it as normally wouldnt and really it achieves nothing. I was just wondering how people deal with this, do you just ignore it all the time or any better suggestions.

The Referee Store
Respect league? Ask manager to remind spectator of the fact. If it continues tell manager that one more word from spectator and it's a misconduct report for the club

Hopefully the first request will suffice

Is it worth making such a fuss about it though? Granted he was about the most persistent person I've ever had at a game, but ultimately is it worth making myself look like I cant handle a bit of shouting. Or am I just expecting too much from myself and shouldnt have to referee with stuff like that going on?

Respect league?.....unless you're quite happy to leave it for next week's ref ;)

Respect league? Ask manager to remind spectator of the fact. If it continues tell manager that one more word from spectator and it's a misconduct report for the club

Hopefully the first request will suffice
Had to do this today. Player committed verbal dissent and I advised the referee who cautioned the player. Player's dad starts to spout about how we'll tackle dissent but not the heavy tackles and I reminded the home club of their responsibility to control the spectators. Not a peep after that.

Back