A&H

Speaking to players

Ref1981

So, do you guys have same good phrases you use while speaking to players? For example when they have committed a crunchy tackle that isn't worth of a caution, but just a talking to, or other incidents where you are having a word with a player.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
When you blow, the players normally know the offence, so mine was:

Come here #
Just think in future.

It was allows the act of being seen to warn the player rather than the actual words used.

When you blow, the players normally know the offence, so mine was:

Come here #
Just think in future.

It was allows the act of being seen to warn the player rather than the actual words used.
I did this on Saturday. Called the player over and said, 'I need to be seen speaking to you following that (tackle or whatever)'
I didn't then say anything else... The player was just glad to dodge a caution

I called a player over on Tuesday and said after he kicked the ball 40 yards down the wing that he is lucky it is just a talking to considering I have just cautioned two of his players for kicking the ball away. Then told him to think of what can happen next time he does it.
And reason I did not caution but only had a chat was because I felt that the kick was made in the moment of me blowing the whistle rather than the 2-3 seconds later in which the other 2 cautions were.
No one complained (and I got a breather too as the game was picking up a bit more pace as the opponents chased an equaliser).

I might say, '10 years ago, that was a great tackle, not anymore it's not'
Although I might have to revise this statement to 20 or even 30 years, as I can't recall exactly when the game went soft

I might say, '10 years ago, that was a great tackle, not anymore it's not'
Although I might have to revise this statement to 20 or even 30 years, as I can't recall exactly when the game went soft
I think I'm not old enough to say that :D

Sometimes saying nothing can be a better option than tying yourself in knots or trying to be over clever... You've given the free kick, his card is marked for that, you can pull the persistent yellow card out at any time, 2,3,4 it doesn't matter. Yes, of course we can all find comments that you could say but sometimes if you say that you'll do something on the next one and you don't then you lose all credibility.... Sometimes a stern stare, or a GO AWAY or foul count fingers raised can do the same trick as reading the Riot Act!!!

Back