A&H

Spa - Eng

Ive seen it a few times and still not sure i can see a penalty.

Yes he puts his arm across him but the attacker having a good pull and tug as well.

The Referee Store
Should be YC for blatant holding by Busquets there. The ref has seen the videos. He knows. He knows the assessor will dock him for not giving that.

Dyer, yellow, telegraphed RP from a mile off
I'd expect VAR to dismiss Pickford - Penalty
Maguire's tackle was less obvious than Dyer's, so no card for me. The ref would have bottled the same decision inside the PA
I think the referee (in his pink socks) has been really poor, treating the game with 'friendly rules' and warning the same players over and over

Is it possible that Enrique and the tiki takas complained that the refs' black socks were distracting and got them to go to red?

Dier booked early on for a reckless challenge, presumably due to the speed and intensity of the challenge. Harsh for me, he took 100% of the ball.
And then went through the player and finished up 3 yards past him. That's an easy card. This is EXACTLY why the law was changed so that CRUEF tackles an opponent is now an offence. Getting the ball first doesn't mean it wasn't reckless. There were safe ways to make this tackle. He chose to not use any of them and make sure his opponent knew he was there.
The direction of the trailing leg is going through the opponent. That's not how you slide tackle, that trailing leg didn't need to be there.

Dier booked early on for a reckless challenge, presumably due to the speed and intensity of the challenge. Harsh for me, he took 100% of the ball.

He did, but in doing so he followed through, careering into the Spanish players legs and sending him flying.

It's still a reckless challenge irrespective of whether or not he "got the ball ref". ;)

The Dier one is hard and aggressive but for me 100% fair and no card should have been issued.

Maguire a bit different despite him originally getting the ball he goes right through the Spanish player afterwards.

The Dier one is hard and aggressive but for me 100% fair and no card should have been issued.

Maguire a bit different despite him originally getting the ball he goes right through the Spanish player afterwards.

I worry that you are thinking a bit like a player here. The fact that he got the ball is irrelevant, you just can't tackle like that any more. At that speed he just cannot possibly win the ball without also clattering Ramos, which makes it a reckless challenge.

Playing the ball is not totally irrelevant. It's part of considerations. However it has to be in a fair manner and that is that part most players fail to understand.
1537791404291.png

The overriding consideration for me is that any tackle against Ramos is never a foul. If it's a fair tackle all good, if not I classify it as karma. :)

It's a caution at that level but I doubt you'd ever see that given at the local park on a Sunday, rightly or wrongly.

It's a caution at that level but I doubt you'd ever see that given at the local park on a Sunday, rightly or wrongly.
I'd caution for that at grass roots and my tolerance is quite tolerant!
Flying wild tackles lead to fights (slightly more often than injury). I typically say , 'great tackle' whilst producing the card, accompanied by 'don't do it again'

Reactions: JH
Back