A&H

Southampton vs Chelsea

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
1-0 at this point. AR Stephen Child flags for a FK to Southampton after Kenedy commits a foul, Martin Atkinson then plays the advantage to Chelsea who go on to equalise!! Poor from an experienced PGMOL referee

The Referee Store
Quite the opposite Jack. Ignore MOTD pundits.

The first foul was by the Southampton player on Kenedy, the assistant then flags for the kick out after this. Atkinson rightly indicates that as he would punish the first offence, which would result in a FK to Chelsea, he plays the advantage. He maybe should have come back for the kick after the event, but he was correct overall.

That is what I saw

I didn't listen to the pundits. Kenedy made the initial late challenge on the Soton player

I was at the game yesterday, am not going to say to much but it wasn't just that decision he got wrong. He was very inconsistent all round, only he knows how costa wasn't sent off and Ivanovic wasn't carded for multiple tactical fouls (shirt pulls and trips when saints on the break)
The game was a good game to watch yesterday. Chelsea lots of good crisp passing around the box, but saints always looked a threat on the break.
I as a saints fan don't want to take the result away from Chelsea as I think they just about deserved it, but seeing where their first goal came from and the winner coming from ivanovic who could of been sent off if Atkinson took the same approach to the Chelsea players as the saints players (one foul =a card to that's your second final warning 5 shirt pulls in) the result may of been different.

Looks to me that the AR, rather than flagging for any sort of foul - in my opinion, there wasn't one - is flagging for the kick out by Kenedy.

If that's the case, can't understand why he didn't keep it up. Or how Martin Atkinson is playing advantage, and for what exactly.

Does seem like a bit of a balls up.

At about 43:20 in the link here.

The referees are miked up.
The Chelsea player looked as though he kicked out at the Saints player. Fine if the Saints player committed the first foul to play advantage, but the Chelsea player should have been red carded if he did kick out.

So we're saying that the following is okay?

1. I get 'fouled'.
2. The ref plays advantage
3. I foul someone.
4. It doesn't matter, 'cos the ref's playing advantage

Sorry, that just doesn't make any sense to me.

So we're saying that the following is okay?

1. I get 'fouled'.
2. The ref plays advantage
3. I foul someone.
4. It doesn't matter, 'cos the ref's playing advantage

Sorry, that just doesn't make any sense to me.
No, you are right. The AR should have alerted the referee, stopped the game, consulted the AR as to what had happened and sent the Chelsea player off if that was what he thought was correct.

Back