A&H

Southampton V Spurs

MikeV

Level 9 Referee
Does anyone have an opinion on Mike Deans penalty and red card decisions this evening?
I can't see why he gave a red card, surely it was a yellow?
Any thoughts?

The Referee Store
Once you give the foul it has to be a red.

Dogso in the box can still be a red if it's not a genuine attempt to play the ball (pull / push etc.).

For me the only question here is whether it's in or outside the box.

There was a pull outside the box, I couldn't see one in it. Any contact was minimal and was caused by redmond stumbling over.
Seemed harsh at first view, after replays I'm not sure Dean got it right.

I haven't seen the incident but DOGSO by pulling, pushing or holding is a red card whether in or outside the penalty area,

I'm far from convinced it was a foul, seems incredibly soft and that the fall may not actually be a result of the pull. But agree with the fact that once you've given the foul, it has to be red regardless of if it's in the PA or not.

Absolutely nailed on decision from Mike Dean, although the initial contact on Alli's heel was made outside of the box. Alli managed to get a shot off but had he not been fouled, a player of his calibre would have almost certainly got it on target, therefore it is DOGSO. Well done MD.

I'm far from convinced it was a foul, seems incredibly soft and that the fall may not actually be a result of the pull. But agree with the fact that once you've given the foul, it has to be red regardless of if it's in the PA or not.
Did you not see the trip just outside of the box? The holding offence occurred after. In my opinion, it should have been a free kick but it took me five replays to get to that decision. Had video technology been used, a free kick could well have been on the cards.

red card correct, whether penalty or not is debatable. it takes many replays to get to a decision if you can make one, in such case i am with the referee.

Absolutely nailed on decision from Mike Dean, although the initial contact on Alli's heel was made outside of the box. Alli managed to get a shot off but had he not been fouled, a player of his calibre would have almost certainly got it on target, therefore it is DOGSO. Well done MD.

Did you not see the trip just outside of the box? The holding offence occurred after. In my opinion, it should have been a free kick but it took me five replays to get to that decision. Had video technology been used, a free kick could well have been on the cards.
I also think the trip outside of the box is the key to decide that it was a clear foul.

Reactions: DB
Debatable whether or not it was a foul, but once given it had to be red unfortunately.

Anybody else think that it looked a bit messy? The length of time between the decision and the red didn't look great.

In those situations you need to take your time to ensure you have your thoughts straight. MD will have been chatting to the other officials to confirm his actions. That can look indecisive but is good refereeing.

Reactions: DB
In that case, we should surely be questioning the decision to give red more? If he's given a foul for a trip and believes it to be inside the box, then surely he can only give red if he decides the player wasn't going for the ball? Now it's been a while since I saw it, but that would have seemed very harsh to me - hence why I assume the foul was a soft one given for the pull, which would justify red, but then raises other questions.

In that case, we should surely be questioning the decision to give red more? If he's given a foul for a trip and believes it to be inside the box, then surely he can only give red if he decides the player wasn't going for the ball? Now it's been a while since I saw it, but that would have seemed very harsh to me - hence why I assume the foul was a soft one given for the pull, which would justify red, but then raises other questions.
Capture.PNG
there was no ball around when he started pulling tugging tripping (whatever you name it). That is why I think red card part of the decision is unquestionable.
Here is the video for the incident (skip to minute 1:50)

Regardless, it was a red card. If you look at the still (thank you Engin), you can see that Alli is in a very good position to get the shot off (he still manages it) and with his pace, no one else would have got close to him. Spot on decision in my eyes, that's just my opinion obviously.

Back