The Ref Stop

Southampton v Newcastle

DJIC

Credit to both managers, both very respectful to the match officials, such a welcome response and sadly rare from all football managers from Elite to grass roots.

👏👏👏👏

More akin to the rugby ethos.

The Ref Stop
Credit to both managers, both very respectful to the match officials, such a welcome response and sadly rare from all football managers from Elite to grass roots.

👏👏👏👏

More akin to the rugby ethos.
Absolutely
Howe is an unrivalled role model and Jones is usually humble too
Splendid interviews given by both men

Last edited:
Just to be clear something up for me, for the disallowed Southampton goal, did Stuart Attwell disallowed it or did he not see the handball leading up to the goal and the goal would of been given without the VAR intervention?

I'm saying this because I was surprised Stuart Attwell was not sent to the monitor for it, basically it looked like Andre Marriner made the decision for him and therefore re refereeing the game. Having said that, given the laws it does look like the right decision although Southampton fans probably won't agree with it.

Just to be clear something up for me, for the disallowed Southampton goal, did Stuart Attwell disallowed it or did he not see the handball leading up to the goal and the goal would of been given without the VAR intervention?

I'm saying this because I was surprised Stuart Attwell was not sent to the monitor for it, basically it looked like Andre Marriner made the decision for him and therefore re refereeing the game. Having said that, given the laws it does look like the right decision although Southampton fans probably won't agree with it.
I believe VAR protocol allows for a handball directly scoring a goal to be decided by the VAR only as it’s an objective decision (either the ball hit the arm/hand or it didn’t). So there was no need under protocol for Atwell to head to the monitor.

The referee always has to make a decision 1st.
Attwell called handball. The VAR couldn't find conclusive evidence he was wrong.

Back