A&H

Southampton v hopefully 2nd in league

Hate this ‘what would Varse do’ it’s all hypothetical guesswork, you haven’t got a scooby doo! 😂

The Referee Store
Interesting if not. The goal was a result of a sustained attack as a result of the offside pass. Nothing in the laws in regards to how far back you go?

It's not in the text of the laws, but it's in the IFAB Protocols for VAR.

‘attacking phase possession (APP)’ will require the referee (assisted by the VAR) to determine:
• the point at which the attacking team gained possession of the ball and then​
• the point at which the phase of play that led to the goal/penalty incident started ‘gaining possession’​

The attacking team will be considered to have gained possession when they:
• take a restart or​
• take possession of the ball from ‘open play’ (when neither team has possession) or​
• take possession of the ball when it is ‘lost’ by the opponents (e.g. poor pass, clearance etc.) or​
• gain possession as a result of a challenge for the ball with an opponent​

The following are not considered a clear gain of possession:
  • a save, deflection or rebound that does not result in control of the ball
  • a clearance that does not reach or is not controlled by a team mate

Southampton had one touch of the ball after Salah was offside. It was a clearance that went straight to a Liverpool attacker. This doesn't end the APP. So when Liverpool scored, the VAR would have said Salah committed an offside offence in the APP and ruled out the goal. Sky is wrong and I'd love to know their "source".

Southampton once had quite s few England captains in the same team, how times have changed now the little teams like City are upsetting the natural order of things. It’s like they expect decisions now, like it’s their right or it’s a mistake. In my lifetime Liverfool have always been a big club, great club but they have some deluded followers!

It's not in the text of the laws, but it's in the IFAB Protocols for VAR.

Southampton had one touch of the ball after Salah was offside. It was a clearance that went straight to a Liverpool attacker. This doesn't end the APP. So when Liverpool scored, the VAR would have said Salah committed an offside offence in the APP and ruled out the goal. Sky is wrong and I'd love to know their "source".

Sky had a PGMOL VAR expert on call, and he said that it wouldn't go back that far. Who knows who is right on this, but there was a long time from the offside to the goal, and the ball had been played in and out of the Southampton area at least three times.

Sky had a PGMOL VAR expert on call, and he said that it wouldn't go back that far.

Snarky comment #1 - Does the PGMOL have someone who can be considered an expert? Oliver couldn't even get a CL knockout stage match this season because UEFA doesn't trust anyone from England yet with VAR.

I don't know what "wouldn't go back that far" means. The LOTG/protocol are clear. If a team committed an offside offense in the attacking possession phase leading up to the goal then the goal will be ruled out. If it's Barca and they keep the ball for two minutes before scoring but they had a player offside 50 passes prior then it's still offside. There is no time limit. Plus Southampton never gained control of the ball to end the APP leading to the goal.

Snarky comment #1 - Does the PGMOL have someone who can be considered an expert? Oliver couldn't even get a CL knockout stage match this season because UEFA doesn't trust anyone from England yet with VAR.

I don't know what "wouldn't go back that far" means. The LOTG/protocol are clear. If a team committed an offside offense in the attacking possession phase leading up to the goal then the goal will be ruled out. If it's Barca and they keep the ball for two minutes before scoring but they had a player offside 50 passes prior then it's still offside. There is no time limit. Plus Southampton never gained control of the ball to end the APP leading to the goal.
Meaning there is no limit to how farcical VAR can be... Just saying :(

Trouble with the MLS is that it's probably weaker than the English Championship. Newcastle snapped up the best player the MLS could offer and the lad is flopping in the EPL
From trials this year and listening to what our top refs are saying about VAR, i'm hopeful we will improve on the dogs dinner served up elsewhere. I think they get the 'minimum interference' part of the pledge, which is why that awful pitch side monitor is not being relied upon. Lets hope we can continue to improve upon the process in a league which is a different kettle of fish

Back