A&H

Sonik Blast is LOUD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScotRef

RefChat Addict
Does anyone else use the Fox 40 Sonik Blast. Just bought one and it is painfully loud. What are other peoples experiences with this whistle, positive or negative?

The Referee Store
Its great for me when there’s more than just my pitch and the ref on the pitch next to me is using a classic fox 40 as this then makes my whistle distinct from his/her whistle. I always have 2 whistles on my wrist lanyard, fox 40 classic and fox 40 sonik blast, so then if there’s a mass confrontation, I use the sonik blast to try and break up the conf as players then cover their ears and stop sometimes so massive benefits for me and grassroots level.

Couldn’t get on with the sonic blast. Hated using it, so when the missus bought me my valkeen I won’t use anything else now
I plan on getting a Valkeen somewhere down the line. I doubt it’s necessary for grassroots and my level right now. Sourcing one is half the battle these days

I might be able to help if you do want one. Not cheap though

Sonic blast and valkeen are about the same loudness but that is where the similarities stop. They are different breeds of whistles. Blast doesn't give you anywhere near as much control as valkeen does. Blast is lower pitch. It has a bigger inlet so you can't get the same length of sound as you would with valkeen on same lounge capacity.

You can blow them both to produce lower loudness. Blast would sound terrible. Valkeen would still sound great. For me, blast is the second choice by far.

I’m a huge fan of the Fox 40 Classic. It’s my primary whistle. I picked up a blast as I had heard good things plus it gives you another dynamic for when you need a loud, authoritative whistle. I hope that makes sense

I really don't get all this whistle snobbery with you guys. 🤔

"Different tones and tunes and valves etc?" It's a WHISTLE!! 🙄😲

It's not about the size of the sound... It's how you use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kes
I really don't get all this whistle snobbery with you guys. 🤔

"Different tones and tunes and valves etc?" It's a WHISTLE!! 🙄😲

For us Yanks, having whistles with different tones is very important since we often work matches at multi-field complexes. It's actually why I never use a Fox 40 Classic. That's the default whistle, so I want to use a whistle that has a distinct sound from the Classic. My usual two-whistle combination is a Kakapo (like a Valkeen) and an Acme Tornado 635. The Acme has a much lower pitch, so it's very distinguishable from other whistles.

Having these options also helps in windy conditions. I have a story about this from a couple of years ago. I was working a high school match in a stadium-type environment (not a full stadium, but bleachers on each side of the soccer/pointyball field with an athletics track around the field). The wind was blowing somewhere around 30 MPH, just an overall tough environment in which to play. Before the match, I had the teams in their positions and I blew both the Kakapo and the Acme to see which one they could hear better before we kicked off. I wanted to know my whistle would be heard. I blew the Kakapo second, and the players and fans in the stands all called "use the second one!". So I did.

I plan on getting a Valkeen somewhere down the line. I doubt it’s necessary for grassroots and my level right now. Sourcing one is half the battle these days

It isn't necessary for any level. But it is very nice.

I used the Sonic Blast for a year or so and never got into using it. I found the way it felt when blowing it was strange and not enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back