A&H

Sometimes...

Churchman

Retired, but occasional line runner
There are occasions when I can understand players getting frustrated with referees. Last Saturday being a prime example.

No names, no pack drill - but....

I went to watch a local parks team I regularly watch, they have four teams and it was their second team playing. I'm not a member, and none of them even know my name. I just enjoy proper job football.

The ref, clearly an appointed ref, was very unfit - partly through age, partly not. I noted a number of things which, when I was assessing, I would have pulled him up for, sharply. His fitness meant he wasn't in position to see much happening, but, when two incidents did occur it was clear that he did have a line of sight and yet simply opted to make a compromise decision. One was to turn down a penalty claim when a player was hauled down (something I could see clearly from the far end of the pitch).

The second was to agree that a keeper had illegally impeded a forward and fouled him, giving the foul and a free kick just outside the penalty area. However, even though the keeper had prevented a clear goal-scoring opportunity (the player had played the ball past him and simply had to side-foot it into the net) he chose to give another compromise decision, and cautioned the keeper. Even the home team were astonished at the decision!

A third incident took place which he couldn't see because he simply wasn't anywhere near play. A home team player had his foot/ankle stamped on in the build up to a corner, but before the ball had even reached the corner quadrant (my opinion is that it wasn't deliberate). The ref was still in the centre circle. The player was upset, understandably, but the ref was completely unable to intervene in any meaningful manner - the coach subbed the player shortly afterwards as it had riled him. If the ref had been close he might have had a view, or at least the player might have believed he had a view, and he could have been calmed down or the stamp dealt with - whichever was deemed to be the right decision.

One one occasion a (club) linesman correctly gave offside (I was in line, it was obvious - three days camel ride offside, as a mate of mine used to say) - half the players (even some on the attacking team!) were begging him to "look at the lino", but he simply wouldn't even look at him, let alone acknowledge him, let alone signal play on. Fortunately it didn't lead to anything. But we can't leave things to fortune.

The caution of the keeper highlighted another issue. During the second half the ref got very card happy, and several players were cautioned (most perfectly deservedly so). I counted five on the home team alone. But he didn't note down a single one of the numbers/names. I'd spotted this when he'd cautioned an away player earlier - so I was trying to remember the numbers of those he had cautioned, but despite making a mental note to do I could only remember four of them, and even then that was not having the stresses of refereeing the game. Indeed, he didn't even make any clear effort to look at player's numbers. Given the way he was waving the cards around this was going to lead to trouble at some point. One away player probably should have had a caution, but the ref didn't give it - was it because he thought he might have cautioned him already, didn't know, and if he did so again someone would remember?

Both teams wanted to play football, this was clear; it was a competitive game, rumbustious even; but, because he never appeared to be in control, and gave off 'grumpy' rather than 'confident' vibe, he wasn't in control of the game, and it was only the common sense of the players that kept things relatively calm.

At the end of his gentle stroll around the pitch for 90 minutes (no added time despite several stoppages for injury and for substitutions - I was checking, you can't take the referee out of a man) we then had the final joke in the box. Before the teams were in the changing room he was shouting for his money - I could hear him from 70 yards away. Having clarified it was on its way he then proceeded to turn around, walk across the pitches to his car, have a drink of water, and go across to another game which was about to start in order to referee that one as well!

So, as I say, there are occasions when I can understand players getting frustrated with referees.

The Referee Store
I've said this before, there are a lot of referees that see it as a cash cow. They will take as many games as they can, and therefore won't move much in each of them, and have absolutely no interest in becoming any better as a referee. They won't attend training, won't try and use self help such as available on this forum, I think the phrase is they are happy with their lot.

And whilst that isn't for me, is it wrong? There's no fitness test requirement for grass roots referees, there's no requirement to attend training, no mandatory LoTG test, and so on. Which leads onto the obvious question: would the game be better refereed by a coach or manager if this, lazy, unfit, seemingly disinterested, referee wasn't available? The answer is almost certainly no, and an unfit, barely interested, referee is almost always going to be safer option than a coach / manager.

Agree with @RustyRef --as long as there is a ref shortage, there are going to be subpar refs who keep getting games because there aren't better refs to do them. And as long as the disinterested out of shape refs get all the games they want, some of them are going to be satisfied with that rather than making efforts to improve.

I think @RustyRef has summed up what most of us are thinking here. Let's be honest youre saying he's too fat to referee. Now his fitness issues will prevent him from becoming a level 4 ref, but he is free to referee grassroots football and rightly so. Perhaps refereeing is his way of trying to get fitter whilst earning a few quid. It's not ideal but without him that game probably doesn't go ahead or it does and there's alot more trouble than having a neutral referee.

There are plenty of overweight footballers at park level. Whilst they may not be being paid, their weight should not stop them participating in amateur sport and nor should it stop a referee participating either.

If there were more better refs than games then he's not refereeing on that park. But that's obviously not the case. So he will be there again next weekend and the weekend after and I say good luck to him

I see this a lot here in the US. Refs who are past their prime to work certain games but like in the UK a shortage of refs dictates the situation. Luckily the assignor, who is also a ref tries his best to get the better refs for certain games

I see this a lot here in the US. Refs who are past their prime to work certain games but like in the UK a shortage of refs dictates the situation. Luckily the assignor, who is also a ref tries his best to get the better refs for certain games
One of the issues in England is that many of these referees are not registered with the County FA or the league, they just pick up games where they can.
With the growth of options and channels advertising "Referee wanted" this is a growing problem.
That's one reason the OP referee will have failed to record the cautions - they can't
or won't report them.

And whilst that isn't for me, is it wrong? There's no fitness test requirement for grass roots referees, there's no requirement to attend training, no mandatory LoTG test, and so on. Which leads onto the obvious question: would the game be better refereed by a coach or manager if this, lazy, unfit, seemingly disinterested, referee wasn't available? The answer is almost certainly no, and an unfit, barely interested, referee is almost always going to be safer option than a coach / manager.
Pretty much nail on head.

Last season, I had a free Saturday and decided I'd go and watch a local game with a referee on it whose name I'd seen on previous fixtures over the years but had never actually seen or met.

I was quite surprised when I saw him out there. He was enormous. Clearly too fat to even break into a jog.
He spent the whole 90 mins walking up and down the field in a straight line between the two penalty areas, blowing his whistle and giving arm signals. The players, whilst clearly frustrated at his proximity to some of the decisions he was giving/not giving, had obviously taken one look at him before the match and realised what they were going to get and seemed to just get on with it.

This referee's size was more of a source of derision and humour for the few spectators watching rather than the players but I couldn't help thinking "this guy's obviously really thick-skinned or he really needs the cash!!" I personally would never step on to a football field if I looked anything like he did.

Having said all the above, the game seemed to go without any major dramas and, as already mentioned on here, the basic fact is that the league has no choice but to give these referees a game since without them, a large portion of matches simply wouldn't have a qualified referee.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs but one which ain't gonna change any time soon .

Back