A&H

Something that made me chuckle

Andy A

If there was ever any proof needed that players don't know the laws of the game here it is.

Blue v Red, Red goal kick, not the biggest pitch in the world and he bladders it right over the top of blue's defensive line.

Red player was in an 'offside' position, CAR flag goes up, everybody stops including the player who was in an 'offside' position.

I scream play on at the top of my lungs to almost everyone's amazement. Nothing came of it and at the next break in play I educated them all, except for a few that knew that law.

Was funny on the next goal kick, the blue team manager was saying what are you dropping so deep for to his defenders. "He can't be offside from a goal kick" came back the answer :D

The Referee Store
If there was ever any proof needed that players don't know the laws of the game here it is.

Blue v Red, Red goal kick, not the biggest pitch in the world and he bladders it right over the top of blue's defensive line.

Red player was in an 'offside' position, CAR flag goes up, everybody stops including the player who was in an 'offside' position.

I scream play on at the top of my lungs to almost everyone's amazement. Nothing came of it and at the next break in play I educated them all, except for a few that knew that law.

Was funny on the next goal kick, the blue team manager was saying what are you dropping so deep for to his defenders. "He can't be offside from a goal kick" came back the answer :D

Not surprising, as I've posted previously I've seen professional players appeal for offside in this situation.

At QPR I would say about 1/3 of the crowd go berserk when it happens, I tried, in vain to educate a fellow fan, he looked at me as if I was mad , " Of course you can be offside from a goal kick" he said!

Wait until you make a defending side retake a free kick because someone touches it before it leaves the penalty area.

You'll get shouts of " But its a FREE KICK ref!"
I was going to post exactly this - almost caused a riot when I called it because one team seem to know the law and the other didn't and they ended up arguing about it!

Not surprising, as I've posted previously I've seen professional players appeal for offside in this situation.

At QPR I would say about 1/3 of the crowd go berserk when it happens, I tried, in vain to educate a fellow fan, he looked at me as if I was mad , " Of course you can be offside from a goal kick" he said!
Had this on the line on Tues.
"OFFSIIIDE".
my reply as loud as I could "not from a goal kick he isnt" surprisingly no argument.
I have had the argument the other way when keeper is releasing from his hands. Cant be offside from a goal kick ref...
Well done squire, but that aint no goal kick!!.

Try giving a retake when you hear a massive defender shout to put a player off at a penalty (and its saved)... they don't get that one surprisingly either!!!

Sadly I goofed badly on this in a Ryman League game. Was chatting to a player who was having a moan, goal kick taken, I see assistant's flag go up against player who was running down on goal, I blow whistle. As soon as I blew I realised straight away "oh sh!t, that was a goal kick". Attacking team weren't happy, but hardly got a peep from the largeish crowd which perhaps suggests how little the average supporter knows the laws. Assistant shouldn't have flagged obviously, but more my fault as I should have waved him down and I wasn't concentrating.

Revenge / karma was swift though, tore my calf not long after and missed two months, including an FA Vase semi-final that I was due to be doing two days later. Ended the game sitting in the crowd that hadn't realised I'd goofed up so badly ..!

Sadly I goofed badly on this in a Ryman League game. Was chatting to a player who was having a moan, goal kick taken, I see assistant's flag go up against player who was running down on goal, I blow whistle. As soon as I blew I realised straight away "oh sh!t, that was a goal kick". Attacking team weren't happy, but hardly got a peep from the largeish crowd which perhaps suggests how little the average supporter knows the laws. Assistant shouldn't have flagged obviously, but more my fault as I should have waved him down and I wasn't concentrating.

Revenge / karma was swift though, tore my calf not long after and missed two months, including an FA Vase semi-final that I was due to be doing two days later. Ended the game sitting in the crowd that hadn't realised I'd goofed up so badly ..!
Ouch! :eek:

Was it @DanCohen17 on the line by any chance?! :rolleyes:

Tip for those who don't AR much. Be careful if referee plays an 'advantage' on offside and allows GK to either kick from hands or more importantly take a GK instead of a FK for the offside.

Its easy when you see fellow AR put up flag to assume its a free kick and concentrate soley on your defensive line, without checking actual restart first.

Wait until you make a defending side retake a free kick because someone touches it before it leaves the penalty area.

You'll get shouts of " But its a FREE KICK ref!"
I was going to post exactly this - almost caused a riot when I called it because one team seem to know the law and the other didn't and they ended up arguing about it!
I watched a La Liga game recently where this happened and I nearly threw something at the TV as the co-commentators went off on a rant about referees who don't know the laws of the game and actually laughing about how ridiculous it was that a top-flight referee could get such a decision wrong.

The free kick leaving the box is the referee's classic. I experienced this for the first time several years ago, and despite knowing the law, I ended up apologising to so-called 'referees who were playing' in the event that I had erred. That will not happen again, but players' incredulity does have a way of making you doubt the existence of reality itself!

Get it quite often, foul inside the PA, keeper puts it down and tries a sly kick to the centre half standing beside him, whistle blows...but it's a freekick blah blah blah....

Get it quite often, foul inside the PA, keeper puts it down and tries a sly kick to the centre half standing beside him, whistle blows...but it's a freekick blah blah blah....

Happened to me in a Ryman U18 game - spent what seemed like ages me (AR) and the ref just repeating 'Yes we know' after defender repeatedly shouted 'Its a free kick!' over and over and over!

Back