A&H

Something a friend sent me on Facebook what we thinking

Sorry @HullRef but what @Brian Hamilton has described is exactly what we should be doing in the professional game. In fact it forms part of the required protocol for dealing with such an incident should it happen at the professional/semi professional level.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Sorry @HullRef but what @Brian Hamilton has described is exactly what we should be doing in therofessional game. In fact it forms part of the required protocol for dealing with such an incident should it happen at the professional/semi professional level.
Yeah, I can see that and it leaves less open for discretion, making referees more consistent.

My only question is, do you think we should be dealing with this sort of situation by way of common sense or do you like the way we are told to deal with it at the minute?

(That's a question for everyone by the way, I'd be interested to hear all types of opinions )

I would not be using common sense at all in this don't forget if your getting assessed and going for promotion they are going to aspect you to deal with it so are clubs that don't have assessors on there

I fail to see how common sense enters the equation.

Think of this from the player's perspective. They are being racially abused and understandably will be very emotional and upset, potentially impacting on their judgement and decision making.

There needs to be a clear and obvious action taken by the match referee in trying to get the issue at hand dealt with whilst at the same time ensuring calm dialogue with the player to ensure they understand you are trying to deal with it.

If you simply try to talk to the player concerned without then looking to deal with the root issue they impression may well be formed that you are not protecting the player or seeking to do anything to help them. That is when they will take matters into their own hands, with potentially disasterous consequences.

Think of this from the player's perspective. They are being racially abused and understandably will be very emotional and upset, potentially impacting on their judgement and decision making.

There needs to be a clear and obvious action taken by the match referee in trying to get the issue at hand dealt with whilst at the same time ensuring calm dialogue with the player to ensure they understand you are trying to deal with it.

If you simply try to talk to the player concerned without then looking to deal with the root issue they impression may well be formed that you are not protecting the player or seeking to do anything to help them. That is when they will take matters into their own hands, with potentially disasterous consequences.
That's what I mean, as a referee you need to be seen to be dealing with the situation but I don't know how possible this will be in a large stadium

That's what I mean, as a referee you need to be seen to be dealing with the situation but I don't know how possible this will be in a large stadium
It's about being seen to be dealing with it and it is greatly to do with perception. By stopping the game, requesting stadium announcements, suspending play with the threat of abandonment should it continue then you are seen to be acting, even though there is actually very little you can do to directly influence the behaviour of those responsible in a stadium environment.

It's about being seen to be dealing with it and it is greatly to do with perception. By stopping the game, requesting stadium announcements, suspending play with the threat of abandonment should it continue then you are seen to be acting, even though there is actually very little you can do to directly influence the behaviour of those responsible in a stadium environment.
Yeah I see what you mean and I think in theory it is a great idea, the only problem I can see is the number of times we hear racist chants across the UK, I think unless it was something that we as referees were told specifically to crack down on together, it will lead to a lot of abandonments.

Also where do you draw the line at making stadium announcements, should we be doing it for personal chants that are just as hurtful as racism?

I think racism is where the line is drawn. I vaguely remember a professional match somewhere being terminated for this reason.
I know, it seems as though racism is prioritised over other forms of abuse, but I have to admit that I don't agree with it. I think there can be plenty of other things which are just as (if not more) hurtful to some people than racism and I think that there should be campaigns by the FA to try to eradicate all forms of abuse in football, not just the "kick it out" scheme for racism.

I know, it seems as though racism is prioritised over other forms of abuse, but I have to admit that I don't agree with it. I think there can be plenty of other things which are just as (if not more) hurtful to some people than racism and I think that there should be campaigns by the FA to try to eradicate all forms of abuse in football, not just the "kick it out" scheme for racism.
This isn't dealing with racism; it deals with religious bigotry. Second offence.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...adfoot-10-game-ban-verbal-abuse-james-mcclean

as controversial as this may sound, I do agree with @HullRef (that wasn't the controversial part)

look at the basics ... in the professional side of the game these are guys that are being paid an immense amount of money to not only play their sport but to be role models ...

if they see their 'idol' (not sure if Frimpong is anyone's idol?) ignoring any kind of racial and bullying remarks from spectators then that could show children that the bigger person is the person that can laugh it off and hold his/her head high.

when did we stop teaching 'sticks and stones may break my bones but words shall never hurt me' ?? I don't agree with racism in anyway, but to react to these simple minded buffoons is a) exactly what they want and b) not showing children how to deal with things in a good manner.

so, yes ... I do agree that asking Frimpong to keep his calm and ignore them and a report shall be processed is the best way ... if not then he has to go walking with a 'I did give the a fair warning'

Emotion can be used as an excuse for anything, but it's not always enough to get a player off the hook.

The second point is - doesn't the player have a responsibility, particularly as a supposed professional sportsplayer, to have some control over his reactions?

Back