A&H

So close to my first penalty shoot out

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
U17 cup final last weekend, and was 2-2 going into extra time. 10 minutes each way, and second half of extra time there is one final break and the striker wriggles through in the area and toe pokes in a goal. I signal goal and check my watch and its 10 minutes 12 seconds!

Literally seconds away from my first ever penalty shoot out, I was gutted!

The Referee Store
Sometimes you're on a lose-lose ... the GKs are bound to come off their line a little / lot .. someone is bound to see it and moan (probably a parent of a player who has their penalty saved) ..!

They can be exciting though :)

One thing I have always done, is if scores are level at the the end of the game I will remind both managers that if we DO get to pens only players on the pitch at the end of the match may take a pen.

Just eliminates one possible query.

Also if Under 16s or younger, I tend to allow 2 adults in centre circle with the players but do make sure everyone else is off the pitch.

Touch wood - never had a problem with 10 or so I've had down the years.

someone is bound to see it and moan (probably a parent of a player who has their penalty saved) ..!

Or the old bloke who's sat in the stand 70 yards away who is just annoyed because he hasn't had anything else to moan about.

Someone who wants to go to penalty shoot-outs?!

I am always praying for a goal in the last minute of a cup game when the scores are level!! I wanna get home!!

I remember doing my first game as AR, U18s cup semi final, 3-0 to away (div 2 side) vs a premier side, 84 mins gone, driving rain, freezing, looking forward to getting home, home team score, then another, 90+4, FK to home outside the box, my end, cross, no offside, GOAL! Us officials thinking FFS! Extra time home team got another 2, spend half an hour longer than wanted to i did NOT want more for a pen shootout!

I am always praying for a goal in the last minute of a cup game when the scores are level!! I wanna get home!!

I'm always praying for no goal in the last minute of a cup game when the scores are level

But nothing to do, 6 cup games this season, no penaltys :(

Heard at the last meeting (not a rumour) that one ref forced the GKs to shoot as the 6th player :eek:

I remember doing my first game as AR, U18s cup semi final, 3-0 to away (div 2 side) vs a premier side, 84 mins gone, driving rain, freezing, looking forward to getting home, home team score, then another, 90+4, FK to home outside the box, my end, cross, no offside, GOAL! Us officials thinking FFS! Extra time home team got another 2, spend half an hour longer than wanted to i did NOT want more for a pen shootout!
You can learn from this. Next time you are in this scenario I'm sure you'll be able to spot the offside in that 90+4 minute and allow the game to finish in normal time... ;)

You can learn from this. Next time you are in this scenario I'm sure you'll be able to spot the offside in that 90+4 minute and allow the game to finish in normal time... ;)

Had a similar one earlier in the season - miserable day, cold, driving rain, two teams that moaned endlessly about everything. Last minute, score is 2-1 and ball bouncing around the box is cleared off the line...I sighed with relief until my AR colleague signalled for the goal! Why do so many of us have such integrity?!

On a side note, going back a long time, I was on a line during my first season and signalled for a goal that would take us into extra time in similar circumstances. The very aggressive ref came over and asked me three times if I was sure the ball had crossed the line. I stuck to my guns, I'm pleased to say - but I've never forgotten it!

I had a penalty shoot-out yesterday

u15 game - both sides tiring - looked nailed on for pens even during normal time

GKs were both very well behaved in the shoot-out too ... think it helped that we briefed them before the pens, told them how many pairs of eyes were watching them and that if they jumped we would have a re-take ... shook their hands to wish them good luck ... got them on our side :)

A penalty shoot out in the cup final before meant mine yesterday kicked off over an hour late!! Suddenly developed a hatred for them!

My most recent one (last season) was a fantastic match (U16s)
1-0; 1-1; 2-1; 2-2; 3-2; 3-3; 4-3 - last kick of normal time = 4-4.
E/T 5-4; 5-5; 6-5 - last kick of extra time = 6-6.

Only 1 pen missed and side who were behind the whole match & equalised 6 times, won the shoot out 5-4!

Home manager actually took it very well, saying "That's football" and remarkably didn't blame some random decision I made in the 22nd minute or some such for the ultimate defeat, as so many do. I guess its games like this, that remind us why we do it!

Back