A&H

SM's question of the week: #1

SM

The avuncular one
lol there may only ever be 1 so perhaps I could have called this SM's one off question! ... Future gazing aside, my question is this;

The referee is responsible for making each game easy for himself.

That appears to be a statement, essentially because it is a statement. :D Regardless, discuss.

The Referee Store
The referee has no such responsibility .. and indeed in certain circumstances trying to make each game 'easy' could lead to a conflict with appropriately applying the LOTG.

However , it's definitely in each referee's interest to proactively manage each game (before, during and after the 90 mins) in order to increase the chance of it being easy / enjoyable for players and referee alike.

How did I do teacher? :)

Reactions: SM
The term easy to referee can have two meanings; it could be easy because you man manage (poorly) when you shouldn't and stay in centre circle or you can be running like hell and on top of things to give credible good decisions. After a while player realise this and get on with the game

I can think of a few users on here who appear to have copied and pasted those words across all the existing text on their LOTG.

In reality though, if you don't have the courage to make the difficult, unpopular, even unexpected or confusing decision - in otherwords, if you don't have the backbone to make the right decision - then do everybody a favour and hand your badge to the next sucker in line.

the statement depends on each individuals idea of the term 'easy game' ... some see an easy game as a quiet 'everyone gets on with it' type of game ... others will see a fast paced, end to end game as an easy one and other will see a tempers flaring game as easy!

I personally like to see a fast paced, tenacious - yet at the end of the game, friendly encounter as an easy one!

in terms of being responsible for this, no, we are just mere law enforcing spectators for the 90 minutes ... how 'nice' it is is only down to the 22 remaining players

I love the variety in responses!

I agree it is in the eye of the beholder. My view of the referee making an easy game for himself is one where the referee sets his stall out early in terms of what he will accept both before the game (just in terms of demeanour, confidence and upholding things like law 4 - Very little if any verbal instructions of dos and don'ts before the game) and then early in the game through how the game is managed by the ref (setting the tone for the match in the first 20 minutes, upholding the laws and image of the game etc) Played well by the referee and the teams will adapt to this and hopefully this is conducive to a great game of football to referee. Which I would call an easy game.

Not necessarily easy in the sense the way the football is played - I love a physically challenging match which requires a lot of effort from me both in terms of movement, pace and game management skills - but in the manner in which the game is played.

So from what I say above, I do think it is the referees responsibility to try and make the game easy for himself/herself.

Just my opinion.

We are not there to have an easy game. We are there to enforce the laws of the game correctly. Hopefully we have games where things go well, but that does not mean they are easy. The harder you work the more rewards you will get from your games.

Back