A&H

Smith Livermore | Simultaneous RP

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
Bournemouth V West Brom
Both players go to ground when attempting to win the ball, both seemingly cautioned for the same offence (Reckless Play i'm guessing). How does the ref determine the restart when this happens? In this case i think Bournemouth got the free kick. I'm guessing the ref adjudged Livermore (WB) to have committed the more serious offence, but the tackles were punished equivalently

The Referee Store
"punishes the more serious offence, in terms of sanction, restart, physicals severity and tactical impact, when more than one offence occurs at the same time"

I havn't seen the incident. From your description quite possibly they were of the same severity but one of them happened a fraction of a second before the other one.

Offences at the same time usually are by the same player and same act. Eg. Second touch which is also a SPA.

When the change was made in 2016 the FAQ document that the IFAB issued, gave additional guidance on how the referee should apply the criteria and decide which is the more serious offence.

The section in the FAQ went as follows:
Football would expect, and it is common-sense, that when several offences occur at the same time, the most serious is penalised. Deciding which offence is the most serious will depend on:
- Disciplinary sanction – e.g. sending-off offence (RC) is more serious than a cautionable (YC) offence
- Restart – a direct free kick offence is more serious than an indirect free kick offence
- Nature of the foul – a foul tackle is more serious than handball or shirt pulling
- Tactical impact – an offence which stops an opponent’s attack is more important than one which ends a player’s own team attack

I think that last one may be designed to act as a 'tie-breaker' when the offences are otherwise identical in terms of sanction, restart and nature.

Reactions: one
I may be mistaken but I wondered if Livermore was cautioned as much for his actions after in the little to-do that occurred. Melee is too strong a word to describe it, but perhaps his involvement with that, triggered the caution as accumulative?

Thanks for replying all. I think the right decision was to judge them both to have committed a reckless foul at exactly the same time. As pointed out however, the second caution may have been for dissent. Anyway, the guidance above covers a situation i hadn't previously anticipated

Should be a drop ball if he cautions both players, right? But as West Brom get the free kick after, Livermoore -as sugested- probably got a yellow for something else after the initial foul...

Back