A&H

Smartwatch replaces the pad?

DB

Referee, Observer, Mentor, Player
Level 5 Referee
http://www.arbitrezvous.blogspot.fr...ic-depoux-la-conquete-de.html?m=1.VI3slhyvf;v

Unfortunately I can't translate this from French to English but you should be able to get the idea.

These guys are developing an app for the Android market which they say, could change the way we go about documenting instances in a game at the touch/tap of a screen.

If it worked, Would you guys opt in? They are developing it at the moment and I've asked to be kept up to date as I'd be interested in trialling it

The Referee Store
I'm split... Not sure what to think. Once it is updated and fully functional, I think it'll be good.

Last edited:
Imagine if it integrated with full time though, and it was a pre-req on teams that instead of team sheets they had to complete the team list online prior to the game. Instant confirmation of a player name, instant submission of cautions, half the job done for dismissals. If you could activate a voice-recorder on it as well, you wouldn't have to take notes when needed. And if it could act as a decent ref's watch as well (count down and up, with vibrate not audible signals)...

But yes, you would want some guarantee it would continue to work. Obviously couldn't be an Apple watch as I'm not sure their batteries last 90 minutes?

The one this company have quoted is the Moto 360 Sport. I'm going to wait for a few reviews until I purchase the watch. Our watch is a big part of what we do, we spend a lot of money on them. If we can get one that we can get multiple functions for, basically everything we need in a dedicated app, it would be quite good.

I bought two £10 watches when I qualified as a ref 5 years ago. I have a nice referee wallet that I found on a pitch after a game! I have 6 tiny pencils that I got when I started refereeing, never sharpened one yet. Seems to serve me alright!

Don't get me started on how much I've spent on kit... It makes me cringe

Reckon admin stuff like whistles, watches and cards etc I've probably done about £25 in my entire refereeing career!

When the first good one comes out, it will get the same response as buzzer flags: Work on good mechanics and habits and you won't need them.

I have piddled with a couple of iPhone/iPod apps (Referee Wallet and Pocket Linesman) as a spectator, and i think the concept is sound.
The only thing that's likely to cause me to buy a smartwatch is a good referee application. The requirements are well within capacity of devices on the market.
  1. Timer: countdown-countup or running time.
  2. Add teams
  3. count goals, mark time
  4. record misconduct, mark time, number, offense
  5. [Bonus] record sound of incidents, etc.
Sprintso's pda does this stuff. But a smartwatch is the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: DB
The one this company have quoted is the Moto 360 Sport. I'm going to wait for a few reviews until I purchase the watch. Our watch is a big part of what we do, we spend a lot of money on them. If we can get one that we can get multiple functions for, basically everything we need in a dedicated app, it would be quite good.

Got 2 cheap casio stop watches 5 years ago, same batteries, no problems, one counts up, the other start and stop as needed. What more do you want a stopwatch to do? Can't ever see the need for a counting down timer, its not as if youre going to start the game, keep going and accidnetly end up at 58 minutes is it! even the players will be asking you how long to go - or are you just crap at maths?

Don't get me started on how much I've spent on kit... It makes me cringe

Sounds like you've just got more money than sense - but that's civil servants for you. Stuipdly high wages for doing sod all..... Comes as s hick when you hit civvy street and all you costs come out AFTER the bank payment, not before.

@davidbartlam When we sign up we did so freely. And we are free to leave when we want to.

Been there, done that, got the medals and the scars.... no opinions here.

... This post can be deleted

Last edited:
@Padfoot Plenty of aircraft left my friend. Don't be fooled by the media :) More to come with the new Merlin, F35 and of course, the QE Class Carrier. Not to mention all the extras we do; like helping out with the floods etc. That can often be overlooked. People see what they want to see, they don't always see and understand the real picture, as is evident by the gentleman above :)

I bought two £10 watches when I qualified as a ref 5 years ago. I have a nice referee wallet that I found on a pitch after a game! I have 6 tiny pencils that I got when I started refereeing, never sharpened one yet. Seems to serve me alright!
Obviously not doing enough writing Dave ;)

As for the watch, it's novel but is it actually an improvement over pen and paper? "Come on ref, what's taking so long?!" "Oh sorry, I just put that yellow down for the wrong player on my watch, bear with me a minute..."

Something like that lol.

Personally, I wanted to see what people would think. I think with stuff like bookings and goals, I'd continue to note them in the pad. As a watch that has the same functions as say the RFT-100 and a Spintso, I think it would work... I'm not going to buy myself a smartwatch yet - I don't really like the concept so I'll wait until someone else tech-savvy has a go.

If anyone has an Android smartwatch and wants to try it...... Let me know how it goes :)

Back