The Ref Stop

Open Age Small-Sided Football 5v5 Help Please Regarding 2nd Penalty Spot & Goal Keeper Only Area

Graham B

Grassroots Referee
Hello Everyone,

Please can you help advise me.
I have volunteered to help referee an open age 5v5 Small-sided football tournament this Saturday. I have read the tournament rules and the FA rules but I need some clarification please.

1. There are 2 penalty spots at each end. One on the penalty area line centre, and the other a few metres ahead on the pitch (see image). I cannot find in the rules clarification of why there are 2 and which I should use when and why. Can you clarify this for me please?

2. The competition rules have a 'goalkeeper only' in the penalty area. This seems to say (on FA rules) ball to keeper if an attacker goes in the D, and Free Kick from the penalty mark if a defender goes in the D. Please can you clarify this for me. Also does it mean if a defender goes in the D with ball nowhere near its still a Free kick. (Also, if the ball goes to the keeper for attacker going in the area, can he throw it or kick it or both)

This is the extract from the FA rules
'Access to penalty areas being restricted only to goalkeepers. Entry into the penalty area by a defender results in a direct free kick from the penalty mark; entry into the penalty area by an attacker results in the goalkeeper being given possession of the ball to re-start the game.'

3. Goal Keeper rules. Can they kick the ball, or only throw it, this isn't clear to me. Can they throw a ball from a what is normally a goal kick too?
(Keeper allowed to throw under arm and side on competition rules and no height restrictions so you are aware).

4. How can a penalty be achieved when no one is allowed in the area and if they do it becomes a 'free kick from the penalty mark' or keepers ball?

Your help here will be very much appreciated as I have not refereed a 5v5 before and want to get it right and gain experience too. I have put a diagram screen shot to show you half a pitch as shown in the FA rules.

Kindest regards
Graham

Screenshot_20240529_210322_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The Ref Stop
1. The second penalty mark is only used when playing futsal.

2. Yes it is still a free kick if a defender enters their own penalty area when the ball is not nearby. See my answer below for what happens if the GK is given possession.

3. You need to provide the exact wording from the competition rules in order to answer. If it says something like the GK can only distribute the ball with underarm throws then once they have picked it up that is the only way they can release the ball.

4. You can't have a penalty kick if only the GK is allowed in the penalty area.

Thank you for your time and help.

Here are the rules I have been emailed below. Also, do I need a Blue Card incase I give a sin bin?

Here are 5v5 details sent to me.
Please can you clarify my original questions if you have time.

NOTE TO ALL MANAGERS/COACHES.

1) Format of Play will be 5v5 for Open Age & Under16s

2) Duration of Play is indicated on fixture sheets.

3) You will be responsible for your team at all times during the competition. Please ensure that all players stay together at all times.

2) Your team must be on the correct pitch and ready to play within 2 minutes of the previous game ending.

3) If your team is not ready to play when the referee blows his whistle, the points will be awarded to the other team.

4) Your team will be awarded 3 points for a win, 2 points for a draw and 1 point for a loss.

5) Power play - If a team is losing by 3 goals they may introduce 1 extra player, if this deficit is reduced the game should return to 5 v 5. If the goal difference margin reaches 5 the losing team will be able to have 2 extra players. The extra player should be removed if the deficit is less than 5 and if it is less than 3 the game should return to 5 v 5.

6) Substitutes shall be permitted at any time during the game, with the referee’s permission. Players may re-enter the game and all substitutes must have a period of play.

7) The competition shall be governed in accordance with the Rules and Regulations of the Football Association. Matches will be played in general conformity with the Laws of Small Sided Football as issued by the Football Association (Format is 5v5 however)

8) The Football Association shall sanction the competition. The Competition, all teams and players and other persons shall be subject to the Rules and Regulations of that Association.

9) Any player dismissed during the tournament will be unable to take any further part in the fixture programme on that day.

10) Fair play and Respect should be the number one priority for all players and coaches at all times- please ensure your players, staff and parents are aware of this before the day starts.

RULES OF PLAY

1) A squad shall consist of up to 10 players, with 5 playing at any one time, 1 of who shall be the goalkeeper.

2) Subject to game timings will be stated on the team sheet.

3) The ball WILL be allowed overhead height.

4) The penalty area will be marked out – No outfield players can go in the penalty area. If an attacking player enters the area and interferers with play, the ball shall be returned to the opposition goalkeeper. If a defender enters the area and interferers with play then a penalty shall be awarded to the opposition.

5) ALL free-kicks will be INDIRECT

6) Side arm and underarm throwing from the goalkeepers is advised No over-arm throwing. The ball will be returned to the goal keeper to retake if an over-arm throw has taken place.

7) Goalkeepers will be allowed to pick the first pass back up. We implement the 3rd player rule so if the ball is passed back to the goalkeeper, the ball needs to be passed to a different player.

8) After a goal is scored play will resume with a centre being taken. Goals CANNOT be scored direct from the kick off.

9) If a player is shown the red card he/she will be unable to take any further part in the competition for that day.

10) There will be NO OFFSIDES

11) All players must wear shin pads.

12) Players will also only be allowed ‘2 steps’ before shooting when having a penalty.

Please respect the venue we are using. THANKS.

Thank you for helping me
Kindest regards
Graham

OK, revised answers

1. The second penalty mark is only used when playing futsal.

2. No do not award a free kick if a defender enters the penalty area and the ball is not nearby. As the competition rules say to only penalise this when the defender has 'interfered with play'.

3. Your competition rules do not prohibit a goalkeeper kicking the ball so this is allowed. Will there be any goal kicks or are there barriers surrounding the pitches so no goal kicks?

4. Your competition rules say 'If a defender enters the area and interferes with play then a penalty shall be awarded to the opposition.' so that is the only way a penalty would be awarded.

I would suggest you don't really need a blue card because the use of yellow cards for sin bins in football is now well established.

One more quick question ref 5v5 Small-Sided Football FA rules.
At a 'Kick Off' does the ball have to go forward? Reading the FA rules this reads KO ball forward only. Please can you clarify this for me.
Kindest regards
Graham

Last edited:
One more quick question ref 5v5 Small-Sided Football FA rules.
At a 'Kick Off' does the ball have to go forward? Reading the FA rules this reads KO ball forward only. Please can you clarify this for me.
Kindest regards
Graham
The 'moves forward' at kick offs was removed from the laws of the game 8 years ago. It will be an oversight that the FA hasn't fully reviewed the small-sided rules so would not insist the ball moves forward at a kick off.

Sorry to bother you again.

5v5 Finals today and they have asked me to referee again with some more changes to the Rules. This time the the keepers and players of U16's & DIV1 teams are allowed in and out of the penalty area and allowed to touch the ball in the penalty area.

May question is - Are they allowed to shoot too just like a normal 11v11 game?

Also, they are allowing throw ins or kick inside from the side lines - Am I right in thinking the throw ins are under arm?

All the best
Graham

Back