A&H

Junior/Youth Small players

SLI39

I am wondering whether any of you feel you make any allowances (conscious or not) for players significantly shorter than average. I was refereeing a junior school final yesterday, and fortunately controversy was kept to a minimum. However, the losing side started to become frustrated whenever I blew for a careless foul against one of the younger players (under 14s and under 15s were combined). There were some robust, physical boys who felt they couldn't make their normal challenges. I happen to believe they would have been fouls regardless (mostly charges), but it made me think about whether we have a duty to render the criteria of carelessness more stringent when there is a large weight/height differential.

Also, on a side note, if you had two goalkeepers wearing exactly the same kit with no change except a bib, would you just play or insist on the bib for the second-named team?

Thanks

The Referee Store
1) I’ve had this before, seems to me that the people who get frustrated are the ones who usually use their body weight to unfairly challenge opponents and commit fouls. They’re rarely called up on it, so it’s the fact that you’re now correctly giving fouls annoys them. They’ll quickly learn if they’ve got any sense. I don’t adjust my tolerance but I am extra vigilant when I can see one of the stronger or weaker members of the team is going in for a challenge.

2) At that level I’d probably play on if no keeper has a different shirt. The chances of them getting mixed up are next to none.

I know what you mean about size differences. It can make a huge difference sometimes, particularly at that age.

Ultimately, you have to just simply go with your gut and try not to focus upon the frailties of the smaller player whenever a challenge goes in. Rather than be distracted by the way the small player reacts physically to the challenge (ie falls over, wimps out, hesitates etc) concentrate on the physical actions of the "bigger" player and if they've done nothing that law 12 doesn't permit - play on!! :)

As for the bib issue - either or to be honest. It's unlikely to ever cause you as the referee a problem. :cool:

I know what you mean about size differences. It can make a huge difference sometimes, particularly at that age.

Ultimately, you have to just simply go with your gut and try not to focus upon the frailties of the smaller player whenever a challenge goes in. Rather than be distracted by the way the small player reacts physically to the challenge (ie falls over, wimps out, hesitates etc) concentrate on the physical actions of the "bigger" player and if they've done nothing that law 12 doesn't permit - play on!! :)

As for the bib issue - either or to be honest. It's unlikely to ever cause you as the referee a problem. :cool:

Thanks; that's essentially what I was aiming for. It will always be perceived as a cop-out by some, I suppose. If it hadn't been a final, I probably wouldn't have worried about the keeper colour clash. I just had visions of a last minute penalty area scramble with both keepers involved!

Back