A&H

Slide Tackles in Youth Football

@boulderdomb must admit mate I think you're brave talking to the teams beforehand - particularly saying what you will and won't tolerate and even more so that you'll be quick to the cards! Should you make a decision which contradicts that you're looking at all ends of problems for the remainder of the game - fair play to you if it works for you though!

The Referee Store
@boulderdomb must admit mate I think you're brave talking to the teams beforehand - particularly saying what you will and won't tolerate and even more so that you'll be quick to the cards! Should you make a decision which contradicts that you're looking at all ends of problems for the remainder of the game - fair play to you if it works for you though!
I'm reckoning that @boulderdomb only ends up with 5 minutes each way after he's finished his pre-match chat :D

I let players know I'm happy with shoulder tackles as long as excessive force isn't used and blocking the ball in the corner - I also let them know that I'll be quick to the cards and I don't have much problems managing tackles as most players understand what I'm looking for.

Define ‘excessive force’?

Do you give this speech to youth players? Do you think they understand ‘excessive force’?

You’re ok with reckless shoulder tackles?

Imo in todays game, and certainly at public park level, slide tackle is a dying art
Watching the Australian A-League it's amazing how many slide tackles are conducted in a very poor fashion. So many players these days have no idea how to slide tackle.
Which is probably why more and more players are always coming in with studs up (and it's become a part of the game now, like low-level holding). Even dumb stuff like sliding with one's back to the player.

@boulderdomb I don't usually give any pre-match instructions to player. Its not our job to teach them the laws of the game or how to play. But if you must, I suggest keep it simple, generic and very very short (we are talking seconds here not minutes). The longer you go the less likely they will pay attention.
One thing you don't want to do is to preempt your own decisions. Every situation is different and you don't want to back yourself into a corner where you don't follow up on your own words.

Back