A&H

Six Second Rule

The six second clause is one you need to understand the intent of to be able to apply it correctly
Well this is exactly the problem.

Why do we, as referees, over complicate things? The LOTG says 6 seconds. Why do we make it out to be any more complex than that?

"Understand the intent" is often just used as a euphemism for '"ignore". And a poor euphemism.
As you say, the intent of the law is to prevent timewasting when the ball cannot be challenged.
Given that referees are regularly allowing 20 seconds or more, I think it's safe to say that as a whole, referees no longer understand the intent of this law and it, like so many other things, are in the box of 'laws we think are too difficult to enforce'.

Funny how Futsal doesn't have the slightest problem with enforcement here.

Serious question, how many of you actually keep to six seconds in your games?
One thing I realised once I started Futsal is that my 'second' was a long second - when I was counting 6 seconds it might have been 8 - but then again the keeper is probably doing the same. It's a pity we don't use a clear signal for the count.....we're not looking at our watches though, of course.

There's the idea that the count should start once the keeper takes his feet, assuming he does so in a timely fashion. Otherwise we're punishing the keeper for making a diving save. But aside from that, no problems, though it only comes up a few times a season. IF the keeper is in the process of releasing when my 6 seconds is up I'll let it go but maybe a shout of 'a bit quicker next time keeper'

The Referee Store
Why do we, as referees, over complicate things? The LOTG says 6 seconds. Why do we make it out to be any more complex than that?
Its not about complication. Just about every law has to be understood to be applied correctly. The response to many questions I ask or i have seen from IFAB talk about the spirit of law. Being pedantic about the 6 second clause and in the first minute of the game giving a IFK after 7 seconds control with scores at 0-0 is technically correct but I am sure you don't agree with it. So at how many seconds do you actually give a IFK. My post basically says if you understand the intent, you would know it when it happens and use the context.

The big difference between football and futsal in this regard is that the main reason for the 4 second clause in futsal is to speed the game up (time wasting is secondary) and the same time restriction also applies to all restarts.

You normally only hear complaints from the losing team who were being beaten easily 2 -0 and their GK has been regulary going over 6 then they get a flukey goal and think they can win and then they starting mentioning the 6 second rule as they start to be bothered by getting a point or winning instead of keeping the score down.

You normally only hear complaints from the losing team who were being beaten easily 2 -0 and their GK has been regulary going over 6 then they get a flukey goal and think they can win and then they starting mentioning the 6 second rule as they start to be bothered by getting a point or winning instead of keeping the score down.

same re taking time at goal kicks, taking it to the other side and so on, this only appears to be an issue at 2-0 with 10 mins to go!!
everyone blanks out anything pre 80 mins in a desperate attempt to either salvage something from the game, or use the delaying tactics as an excuse.

same re taking time at goal kicks, taking it to the other side and so on, this only appears to be an issue at 2-0 with 10 mins to go!!
everyone blanks out anything pre 80 mins in a desperate attempt to either salvage something from the game, or use the delaying tactics as an excuse.

My mate always asks why they changed it to allow goal kicks to be taken from either side. "To speed the game up," I tell him.

When a GK starts doing this it amazes me that supporters don't start chanting the seconds. My son and I do but it never catches on.

It seems less of a problem at lower levels. I can't recall a recent game where I'd even thought "get on with it". When it does happen, there's usually a moment when you think the GK isn't even looking what to do with the ball. After that if he doesn't get on with it, I'd penalise.

Last edited:

I do, but I don't enforce it correctly I guess. I only really start counting if I've got to the halfway line and they're still faffing about looking for options to release the ball. That's when I do an obvious countdown with my hand in the air and usually they get the hint. Otherwise when I'm running back I'm mostly concentrating on whatever aftermath has occurred or trying to predict where I need to go.

Exactly - and this is the key to what I look out for with regards to this. I don't keep to 6 seconds particularly. What I try and do is note early on roughly how much each keeper is hurrying, and then when the match is ending, hold them to the same standard.

A keeper who always hesitates and is always unsure about his kicking will get a little more slack from me at the end than a keeper who's shown himself to be confident with the ball at his feet and then seems to develop a case of the jitters just because his team is a goal up.

I start my count when the keeper is standing up.

If i get to four in my head i shout out loud 4.

Then 5.

Then i shout to the keeper to get on with it.

Next time (it has happened twice to me) it happens i give the IDFK.

Both keepers get the same treatment in any one game.

I start my count when the keeper is standing up.

If i get to four in my head i shout out loud 4.

Then 5.

Then i shout to the keeper to get on with it.

Next time (it has happened twice to me) it happens i give the IDFK.

Both keepers get the same treatment in any one game.

to paraphrase then, every time you get to 7 its a IDFK? There is no way in any game a gk does not keep the ball for more than 7 secs in a game.
Impossible and not believable at all, sorry.

to paraphrase then, every time you get to 7 its a IDFK? There is no way in any game a gk does not keep the ball for more than 7 secs in a game.
Impossible and not believable at all, sorry.
They get the one warning (each keeper, if needed) "keeper, get on with it". The second time is an IDFK. I do the loud count so players know what i am doing and sometimes thy know what's coming.

They get the one warning (each keeper, if needed) "keeper, get on with it". The second time is an IDFK. I do the loud count so players know what i am doing and sometimes thy know what's coming.

am sorry I sound rude and I don't mean to but, surely if they are breaking your rule (holding it 8 secs) then that's more than 6 and needs to be penalised first time? (using your rationale)
If you shouting out 7 8 9 then you are vocally telling everybody they have infringed the laws yet you are not penalising them?

do you give second chances for DOGSO and VC and handball too?

I accept you might see it as managing the game or development and so on but I find it bizarre a referee would recognise an infringement publically but take no action until they do it again

least with say a foul throw you just simply get on with it without shouting "both your feet were near on the 6 yard box but its ok if you do it again I will penalise you"

I am consistent in this approach and i do not see it happening a second time very often. Normally once or twice in a season.

I was once told (by an assessor) that sticking to the six seconds with no warning was not "sellable" so i took this approach.

I think 90% or over off all refs ignore this law so i'm glad i do something to manage the game and to enforce the LOTG.

Do you enforce the 6 seconds?
Let’s not beat around the bush. No ref does, anywhere. It’s a rule which needs changing to something more realistic like 15 seconds. It’s enough time for a keeper to get up and weight up his options, along with the ref getting back into position.

Do you enforce the 6 seconds?

no, in same way I don't dictate a blade of grass for a free kick to be taken from or a throw,
the diff here seems to be though I don't leave myself open to criticism by making pubic an infringement and then taking no action
its like a pk is scored but then you shout out "4 of the kickers mates were in the box but am still giving a goal"
in your case when you get to more than 6, all bets are off. You don't get to pick and choose how much over 6 is acceptable

Reactions: JH
Let’s not beat around the bush. No ref does, anywhere. It’s a rule which needs changing to something more realistic like 15 seconds. It’s enough time for a keeper to get up and weight up his options, along with the ref getting back into position.

You make a good point, image if the gk was booting from hand every time 3 secs after getting the ball....the ref would be all over the place, so you can turn it into a positive that the gk dallies on the ball.

Back