A&H

Six Second Rule

JH

RefChat Addict
Chelsea - Southampton today, I counted the Southampton keeper with the ball in his hands for THIRTY-SIX seconds. What is the point in this rule? Another one that just gets ignored.

The Referee Store
He (Angus Gunn) did the same s*** playing for Norwich a few seasons ago, It was shameful!! He helped coin a song they sing when we now waste time at the very end of games...

Joe Lumley of QPR never takes less than 12 seconds when his/my team are in the lead & often creeps up towards 20.

Unscientific/made up 'fact' - I would say 85% of all GK kicks from hands take longer than 6 seconds.

Joe Lumley of QPR never takes less than 12 seconds when his/my team are in the lead & often creeps up towards 20.

Unscientific/made up 'fact' - I would say 85% of all GK kicks from hands take longer than 6 seconds.
I’ll be checking that in a couple of weeks when the R’s are at the Lane..... both in decent form!

Billy is now only 214 goals off the all time scorers list so a hat trick will ease that target...

I’ll be there, always a decent game...

I think this rule is pretty much ignored now, like encroachment from penalties. I think they could maybe increase the time to 8-10 seconds but actually enforce it. Seems a pointless rule at the moment

Reactions: JH
Or they could keep it at 6 and enforce it.
Six is too little, which is part of the problem. Six seconds means a keeper would have to immediately jump up from a save and sprint out to distribute, hence why they always take more. Thirty-six is just making an absolute mockery of it though, I'd be interested to ask the referee how that was allowed to happen. I'd be giving an IDFK well before that.

Absolutely no reason why it's ignored like this, all part of the toxic culture of 'referees should do anything except referee the game'.

36 seconds is farcical, though 15-20 seconds is fairly normal.

It's not a difficult law to enforce, really.

I think this rule is pretty much ignored now,

I thought it was used to get a breather? >_>

If you're gassed from sprinting up and down, don't enforce it. If you're up for another run, tell them to get a move on? ;)

I am not being serious ofc.

Another law that is 'managed' (ignored). There's no point having a law if it's there to be ignored. If any of you have ever dealt with the HSE, they will tell you to "show us your rules and then we'll go and see if you're doing what you say you're doing"!

Here’s what I do:

Keeper saves the ball, has it safely in his grasp. Probably like everyone on the pitch (at my level, at least) I’m glad to grab a breather, and, like everyone, I’ll jog to take up my position (on or near halfway line) and when I’m in position I’ll start my (mental) countdown of six seconds. If keeper still hasn’t released ball by then I’ll give him a shout and he’ll, inevitably, release the ball. I can’t, from memory, recall ever penalising a keeper for this offence.

I be right under the LOTG, I may be wrong, but what I am is consistent. Nobody bats an eyelid to the above approach in the first minute of the game, there may be complaints in the last minute of a close game, but if I’ve done the same all game then I don’t see why I should change my approach just because one team desperately needs a goal.

Serious question, how many of you actually keep to six seconds in your games?

Serious question, how many of you actually keep to six seconds in your games?

I think the key is Jeff says, to be consistent.
Proactive too "should" be able to sort any issues before they arise.....I would kind of be blaming myself if I gave a idfk after keeper held ball for 30 secs.
One thing you really dont want to be doing is penalising it in the last min when indeed the gks have held it for much longer previously in the game! Asking for trouble..

Last edited:
I maybe gave 1-2 FKs for holding it for too long, can't really remember any of note..... its not normally an issue at Dog and Duck level, the one that GK's normally erred on at my level was holding it for too long as they strode out of the area to do a quick fly kick.... Easy to spot if you suspect its happening and you hold back just to have a closer look and you are nearer the edge of the box.

The six second clause is one you need to understand the intent of to be able to apply it correctly. It's the only time the ball can't be challenged when it is in play. The clause is put in place to stop keepers misusing the 'no challenge' law to waste time. The fact that the ball is in play means you can't punish it with delaying the restart so there has to be another way of punishing it hence the 6 second clause.

I 'manage' it the same way as delaying the restart (by a player in posession of the ball). The concept behind them is the same.

Unless it's enforced universally to the second then it should be removed and/or replaced. It's an extremely difficult one and just because I'm critical of its current application, it doesn't mean that I don't recognise how difficult stopping time wasting is, especially when it's ignored at the professional level.

I'd personally alter the law to the ball having to be released from the keepers hands after 6 seconds. Therefore, the keeper can still have possession legally but not in an unchallenged manner after 6 (or maybe a few more ie 10) seconds.

Back