A&H

Open Age Sinbin, Yellow or Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2021RefYCRC

Level 7 Referee
This incident occurred during a recent match, and I am open to development, hence the question here, and I look forward to your views.

The context: 80 minutes played, an attacker (who had only been on the pitch 10 minutes) got fouled near the penalty area. The attacker was awarded a free kick in a promising position. As I was setting up the yardage for the wall, I overheard the attacker say to the penalised defender, "I will knock you out."

I stopped what I was doing, blew my whistle and called the attacker over near the touchline. As the attacker came over to me, I looked at my watch, seeing 80 minutes tick over. I explained my decision to the attacker that such statements are uncalled for and intolerable. I chose to sin-bin him, so he took no further part in the match.

I am reflecting on my decision and what would I have done if it was 30, 60 mins on the clock and whether a sin-bin was the correct approach. Would you have shown the attacker a red and sent him off completely, cautioned him, just a stern word?

The Referee Store
it absolutely needs dealing with but i dont think sin-bin is correct as it's not dissent, it's player on player

you could warn him but suspect it would only escalate from here if you didnt issue a card

a caution for adopting and aggressive attitude would certainly be justified together with a very strong warning about his future conduct, but of course he stays on the pitch

red is certainly an option as well

If I'm pulling a card for that, then it's likely a yellow for USB (AA) than red for OFFINABUS, but you were there not me.

It certainly isn't a Sin Bin (dissent) caution though. ;) :)

Depends on the game, its possible a word in passing, or a public warning, or, a yc is required, am struggling to find a red but again, depending on the game, your own instinct etc, its not impossible

Last edited:
I find the best thing to do is to whittle down the choices as to what the sanction might be.

It's not Dissent - so you can exclude Sinbin

Out of the potential red card offences (assuming the player is not already on a yellow), the only offence that COULD fit the bill is OFFINABUS.

Out of the potential yellow card offences the only one that COULD fit the bill is USB - we talk about Adopting and Aggressive Attitude here for these types of situations.

So you are left with 2 choices. One thing to note though is a player saying those words quite often can't help themselves in adding on two extra words "You <insert 4 letter expletive of choice>" to the end, which then would give you a nice easy red for OFFINABUS.

Assuming no extra words on the end, personally I'd be going yellow here, however if a referee could justify that in their mind it met the threshold for OFFINABUS, then I could also support that point of view.

I find the best thing to do is to whittle down the choices as to what the sanction might be.

It's not Dissent - so you can exclude Sinbin

Out of the potential red card offences (assuming the player is not already on a yellow), the only offence that COULD fit the bill is OFFINABUS.

Out of the potential yellow card offences the only one that COULD fit the bill is USB - we talk about Adopting and Aggressive Attitude here for these types of situations.

So you are left with 2 choices. One thing to note though is a player saying those words quite often can't help themselves in adding on two extra words "You <insert 4 letter expletive of choice>" to the end, which then would give you a nice easy red for OFFINABUS.

Assuming no extra words on the end, personally I'd be going yellow here, however if a referee could justify that in their mind it met the threshold for OFFINABUS, then I could also support that point of view.
Well put. Tone/volume of voice and physical posture when making the statement can also matter, as well as temperature of the match.

Of the three offinabus it's only really abusive. For me, it's Adopting an Aggressive Attitude and c1 caution.

I know game temperament etc. Can sway that somewhat but minimum sanction of a caution.

The elephant in the room is the use of sin bin and well done for reflecting on this. Afraid to say this was incorrect use of the sin bin, in England at least, (but I suspect you now know this hence your post).

In England sin bins or temporary dismissals, are for dissent only. Dissent can only be committed against a match official as per definition so one to remember in future.
If you felt this player needed to go then your only option was a red card for (offin)Abus.

Of the three offinabus it's only really abusive. For me, it's Adopting an Aggressive Attitude and c1 caution.

I know game temperament etc. Can sway that somewhat but minimum sanction of a caution.

The elephant in the room is the use of sin bin and well done for reflecting on this. Afraid to say this was incorrect use of the sin bin, in England at least, (but I suspect you now know this hence your post).

In England sin bins or temporary dismissals, are for dissent only. Dissent can only be committed against a match official as per definition so one to remember in future.
If you felt this player needed to go then your only option was a red card for (offin)Abus.

Where does it say dissent can only be committed against a match Official?

• Wow
Reactions: Kes
it absolutely needs dealing with but i dont think sin-bin is correct as it's not dissent, it's player on player

you could warn him but suspect it would only escalate from here if you didnt issue a card

a caution for adopting and aggressive attitude would certainly be justified together with a very strong warning about his future conduct, but of course he stays on the pitch

red is certainly an option as well
Exactly this. Red maybe a tad harsh but possibly correct in law.

The fact you have spent time to reflect on a decision shows you are learning. Keep going!

Reactions: es1
Comments like this are ten a penny when reffing older youth matches; lots of testosterone surging! I have a word (oi behave) and keep an eye on the conflicting parties. Rarely develops into fisticuffs.

That’s the only problem that comes with the sin bin isn’t it. Because as a ref you get accustomed to thinking that anything your dealing with which is verbal you think it’s “sin-bin-able”. But actually it’s just really for dissent against the you as the ref.
Like the people above say, possibly a yellow for adopting an aggressive attitude. Not sure it warrants a red unless you have reason to beleive he’s going to follow through his threat of violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back