A&H

Sin bins

Not sure that is strictly true. This is a national initiative, within the framework of the LOTG.
All football steps 5 and below will be using temporary Dismissals, therefore, I would expect that to extend to friendlies as the reporting of dissent cautions across the board upto step 5 has changed

If both teams involved in a non-competition game are step 5 or below then it would need to be used. Where both are step 4 or above it shouldn't be used. Where it is more complicated is a step 5 team playing a step 4 team, common sense there would suggest it isn't used as the step 4 team won't be using it.

The Referee Store
If both teams involved in a non-competition game are step 5 or below then it would need to be used. Where both are step 4 or above it shouldn't be used. Where it is more complicated is a step 5 team playing a step 4 team, common sense there would suggest it isn't used as the step 4 team won't be using it.
What I was saying but phrased better :)

Cautions and dismissals in friendlies aren't submitted though?
All games sanctioned by CFA, which are the only games you should be reffing, friendlies included, are subject to normal disciplinary procedures.

Reactions: JH
I find it strange that us refs are told if you do not attend a workshop for sin bins you cannot ref until you have but players can do as they like. A two-tier system!
Who told you that?
I have been unable to attend a brief so emailed the FA who sent me a link to online training. You get a nice certificate at the end so again I emailed the FA to see where this goes and the response was nowhere needs it.

Not sure that is strictly true. This is a national initiative, within the framework of the LOTG.
All football steps 5 and below will be using temporary Dismissals, therefore, I would expect that to extend to friendlies as the reporting of dissent cautions across the board upto step 5 has changed
We had a friendly at the weekend with 2 step 5 teams but the Ref was a EFL Ref who would neither need to use or would be trained to use Sin Bins so guess what....... no sin bins its a friendly! if anyone oversteps the mark he'd just tell the manager to sub the player.

Not sure who told you that, but it is 100% wrong.
All games sanctioned by CFA, which are the only games you should be reffing, friendlies included, are subject to normal disciplinary procedures.
Not told it strictly speaking, just assumed it based on the fact that professional players don't get suspended for dismissals in pre-season (to my knowledge). It's a good job I haven't done many friendlies then I guess...

You say games sanctioned by the CFA, how does that happen because I see clubs asking on twitter etc for oppositions for friendlies, do they then have to tell the county?

Not told it strictly speaking, just assumed it based on the fact that professional players don't get suspended for dismissals in pre-season (to my knowledge). It's a good job I haven't done many friendlies then I guess...

You say games sanctioned by the CFA, how does that happen because I see clubs asking on twitter etc for oppositions for friendlies, do they then have to tell the county?
If 2 clubs are county afilliated then I think they are automatically sanctioned. That is my understanding

We had a friendly at the weekend with 2 step 5 teams but the Ref was a EFL Ref who would neither need to use or would be trained to use Sin Bins so guess what....... no sin bins its a friendly! if anyone oversteps the mark he'd just tell the manager to sub the player.
He might need to be trained.
There's a premier league linesman that takes charge of step 7 games still and I know of a Premier league ref taking charge of games that will be using sin bins so our more esteemed colleagues are not neccesarily immune.
Not the end of the world but games for clubs at step 5 and below should use Sin Bins. Dont be fooled by the fact an EFL Ref didnt use it.

And let's not go there on the subbing for dissent in friendlies....

1562622223959.png

This mean the Nation FA can not force a competition organiser (say a CFA) to use Sin Bin if a comp organiser doesn't want to use it. However if the comp organisers want to use them then the national FA has to approve it.

Given the FA has already approved its use in all competitions step 5 or below, then you would have check with the individual CFA to see it is in use. At least this is how it is supposed to work.

I was initially against sin bins, but I feel much more positive about it after doing my training etc.

I think some people are massively over thinking things, as long as you (the referee) know how it works and apply it correctly I don't see why there should be any problems, the players will pick it up eventually.

I think some people are massively over thinking things

Precisely.

All you need to know are 3 core actions and outcomes:

caution + sin bin = remains
sin bin + sin bin = no return but can be replaced
sin bin + caution + sin bin = no return and no replace

Just found out that Isthmian - Ryman/Bostick/Blue Finn Insurance - Under 18s will NOT be using sins bins, but the development league (U23s) will.

Odd?

Once I packed in trying to make a bit of beer money from football I played for 9 teams in Saturday/Sunday league's in OA football. I can absolutely guarantee you that none of the managers or players would attend a sin bin session. I'm afraid that's the nature of alot of grass roots amateur football at OA. A club secretary may go if your lucky. There might be the odd manager that attends but in my experience it will be the exception rather than the rule.

The CFA trainer who delivered the session advised that we give a brief explanation of sin binning in the early weeks of the season if teams aren't aware of it. Sounds sensible to me. Each to their own.

I think some people are massively over thinking things, as long as you (the referee) know how it works and apply it correctly I don't see why there should be any problems, the players will pick it up eventually.
Completely agree. It’s a very simple process made more complicated by overthinking it. If players/managers haven’t gone out to sessions etc then that’s their issue, don’t make it yours. Just apply it correctly and that’s it

Completely agree. It’s a very simple process made more complicated by overthinking it. If players/managers haven’t gone out to sessions etc then that’s their issue, don’t make it yours. Just apply it correctly and that’s it

But you're going to spend more time applying it as you'll have to explain to them the process you're putting them through anyway as they won't know it. They'll think that the yellow card stands like a normal yellow card, they won't know where to stand, they'll be asking if they can sub the player, they'll ask you questions about how long it is and then they'll be shouting at you to let them back on etc.

I'm not over thinking it. It's literally a 1 minute explanation to both teams and you've saved yourself alot of hassle during s flash point in the game. Thatvwas the advise from a trainer that's seen this in action many times so I'll go with it. Just seems sensible and very little effort but each to their own

But you're going to spend more time applying it as you'll have to explain to them the process you're putting them through anyway as they won't know it. They'll think that the yellow card stands like a normal yellow card, they won't know where to stand, they'll be asking if they can sub the player, they'll ask you questions about how long it is and then they'll be shouting at you to let them back on etc.

I'm not over thinking it. It's literally a 1 minute explanation to both teams and you've saved yourself alot of hassle during s flash point in the game. Thatvwas the advise from a trainer that's seen this in action many times so I'll go with it. Just seems sensible and very little effort but each to their own
Having operated sin bins in Norfolk all of last season your summation is 100% correct and like you agree that a quick overview of the process is the best way forward. What I learnt last season I will also adopt for games this season in Suffolk but agree it is a case of each to their own and what works best for the individual.

Who told you that?
I have been unable to attend a brief so emailed the FA who sent me a link to online training. You get a nice certificate at the end so again I emailed the FA to see where this goes and the response was nowhere needs it.
Was the link for you or is it a general one? If it’s general and you still have it can you post it here please.

Once I packed in trying to make a bit of beer money from football I played for 9 teams in Saturday/Sunday league's in OA football. I can absolutely guarantee you that none of the managers or players would attend a sin bin session. I'm afraid that's the nature of alot of grass roots amateur football at OA. A club secretary may go if your lucky. There might be the odd manager that attends but in my experience it will be the exception rather than the rule.

The CFA trainer who delivered the session advised that we give a brief explanation of sin binning in the early weeks of the season if teams aren't aware of it. Sounds sensible to me. Each to their own.

My two local men's leagues made attendance mandatory. The CFA held a number of sessions for each league over the space of a month.

Back