A&H

Sin Bin

Hi everyone.
Hope you can help me understanding something regarding Sin Bins, further action and consequences.

What is the appropriate action when a player has just received a Sin Bin caution, but carries on with further dissent before going to Sin Bin?
Is it a second caution followed by dismissal?

I mention that is what happened in the same instance, not after the player has returned from Sin Bin.

To my understanding, if the player has committed another cautionable offence before going to Sin Bin, receives a second yellow, being dismissed, followed by one match ban.

I know that if returned from Sin Bin different rule applies, but would like to understand the rule when that happens in the same instance.

Attachments

• 3ddaaedc6961d3553e7186866ce663f5.jpg
    3ddaaedc6961d3553e7186866ce663f5.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 3
The Referee Store
It's grey area (due to poor wording in lotg) but the general consensus is that once you have shown the yellow card for the first sin bin, the player is now considered "in the bin" or temporarily dismissed. Any cautionable offence (including further dissent) while he is leaving is a caution while temporarily dismissed. You show him the yellow card again and It means he can not take further part in the game or be subbed.

You just report it as such and let the league decide the ban. We as referees don't worry about bans.

@one is correct in his point, however you also have to consider whether the dissent is a continuation of the original offence you've cautioned for or whether it's a completely new offence.

It's a fine line to tread but you may want to consider:

If the player is continuing to give dissent as it relates to the original decision you've given it's really a continuation and you might want to try managing it before going nuclear.

If the player then does something like sarcastically clapping the fact that you've given them a yellow then consider it to be a "new" offence whilst in the sin bin, so issue the second caution.

If you are going to manage it - "player, you're already sitting down for 10 minutes, carry on and you won't be coming back on at all today" that puts the onus on them to either stop or if they carry on, then it's no great surprise to anyone when the yellow comes out again.

Back