A&H

Sin bin question

The Referee Store
the problem with that is that it does not take into account the exception in my flow. Which is what the OP is talking about.
Yes, you are talking about the box in the right hand corner. Thanks. That's cleared it up.
So you can caution someone as a YC for dissent same as USB in the example I used in the OP?

So you can caution someone as a YC for dissent same as USB in the example I used in the OP?
Not sure what you mean by that. If it's dissent, you don't have a choice between a normal yellow card and sin bin. You have to bin if your comp rules use it.

In OP for the first dissent you have to bin, as you did. The dissent after that, it makes no difference if you do it as sin bin or normal yellow. It's a cautionable offence while in the bin so the outcome is the same. He is off and no subs are coming in for him at any time. How you record/report it depends on your comp rules.

Not sure what you mean by that. If it's dissent, you don't have a choice between a normal yellow card and sin bin. You have to bin if your comp rules use it.

In OP for the first dissent you have to bin, as you did. The dissent after that, it makes no difference if you do it as sin bin or normal yellow. It's a cautionable offence while in the bin so the outcome is the same. He is off and no subs are coming in for him at any time. How you record/report it depends on your comp rules.
For us you would record a c2 (sin bin) on wholegame and then a c2 and provide reason why player not sent to bin, in this case, because they were already there.

The LOTG only gives guidelines on temporary dismissals and I try to consider the following to help me out.
Temporary dismissals apply to all players but not for cautionable offences committed by a substitute or substituted player.
Once you have decided to temporarily dismiss a player, the player is no longer a player 🤔 (maybe this is where new definition is required in the glossary?). Therefore, any subsequent dissent is considered to be a cautionable offence (YC).

A possible simpler view would be:
If the dissent is from a person on the FOP (players) that’s a temporary dismissal.
If the dissent is from a person NOT on the FOP (substitute, substituted player, temporarily dismissed player) that’s a caution (YC).

Last edited:
I would also add that a substitute can’t enter the FOP at the end of the TD period. A substitute can only enter the field of play at a break in play using the substitution process.

The LOTG only gives guidelines on temporary dismissals and I try to consider the following to help me out.
Once you have decided to temporarily dismiss a player, the player is no longer a player
I can't find this bit. Is this actually in the book or is it your interpretation?

I can't find this bit. Is this actually in the book or is it your interpretation?
I did put an emoji in there and a question … so, it’s my interpretation. Or rather, my way of trying to make out what’s the process in this situation.
If it helps, great. If it doesn’t, ignore it.

Either way, there’s a lack of clarity in the book and we’re left guessing as to what is intended.

May be relevant

"A player who is still serving a temporary dismissal at the end of the match is
permitted to take part in kicks from the penalty mark "

Back