A&H

Sin bin & minimum number of players

Will_A

Level 4 Referee
I’m sure there’s a thread about this somewhere but I can’t find it!

If a team is reduced to less than the minimum 7 players, but 1 or more of those dismissed is a temporary dismissal, do we continue or abandon?

The question was raised at half time during my game today and I couldn’t find the point in the laws that covers this.

The Referee Store
I’m sure there’s a thread about this somewhere but I can’t find it!

If a team is reduced to less than the minimum 7 players, but 1 or more of those dismissed is a temporary dismissal, do we continue or abandon?

The question was raised at half time during my game today and I couldn’t find the point in the laws that covers this.
Game is abandoned.Screenshot_20220326_102912_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:
The FA advice at the sin bin seminars and in the initial FAQS was that the game would continue using the spurious logic that 'the sin binned player was still under control of the referee...'.

They had to be told by Elleray that this was incorrect. I wouldn't be surprised if most refs don't realise the guidance was corrected

Have never used sin bin so advance apologies if my train of thought is derailed, so, the idea of either playing on with less than 7, or, saying to someone who is temporarily dismissed due to their conduct, hey, you better come back on early or we will have no game, seems absurd.

The FA advice at the sin bin seminars and in the initial FAQS was that the game would continue using the spurious logic that 'the sin binned player was still under control of the referee...'.

They had to be told by Elleray that this was incorrect. I wouldn't be surprised if most refs don't realise the guidance was corrected
Sadly there are docs out there that still say this from before it was clarified.

I knew it started one way and was then changed at a later date but couldn’t remember which way around it was!

Back