A&H

Signals

Rob

Level 9 Referee
I have recently refereed my 4th fixture in Hull Sunday League. My appointed Mentor was with me on my recent fixture and he gave me the low down on my overall performance. Apart from the odd little niggle such as positioning etc all is going well. One thing he did say was get into the habit of using one or two fingers to signal Throw Ins / Corners / Goal Kicks as to using an outstretched full hand which is currently how I signal the decisions , personally I didn't think there was a correct way to do this and as long my signalling was recognised by the players it was okay , is there a correct way of giving your decisions via hand gestures. My Mentor also said I need to get out of the habit of blowing my whistle when a goal is scored and just point to the centre circle, he said if you whistle to signal a goal the players will think you are blowing for a foul.

The Referee Store
I agree about the goal element, there's no need to use the whistle unless the goal is in doubt - i.e. was it in or not scenario.

On the signals, totally personal preference. As long as your signals are clear then there is no issue.

My Mentor also said I need to get out of the habit of blowing my whistle when a goal is scored and just point to the centre circle, he said if you whistle to signal a goal the players will think you are blowing for a foul.

He's definitely right here

Thanks ASM , I did feel the signally I was using was okay but he felt using one or two fingers was the right way. I am sure everyone does it differently and as long as the signals are clear that is the main thing.

Carry some aeroplane landing light sticks to direct the throw just to be sure :D

In all seriousness he seems to be finding something from nothing there.

Signal with one finger, 2,3,4 or all 5. Doesn't matter. Just point the right way :p

If you forget which team is kicking which way (it happens) just say the colour of the team and then follow with a hand signal when you regain your bearings.

If you forget which team is kicking which way (it happens) just say the colour of the team and then follow with a hand signal when you regain your bearings.
lol that moment after half time where your brain has not quite readjusted to the change of directions the teams are kicking in....

:D Only once this season...

One thing he did say was get into the habit of using one or two fingers to signal Throw Ins / Corners / Goal Kicks as to using an outstretched full hand which is currently how I signal the decisions , personally I didn't think there was a correct way to do this and as long my signalling was recognised by the players it was okay , is there a correct way

Two fingers for signaling to your mentor, too, by the sound of it

If anything what your mentor has said is the opposite of what is expected... When i was on the National Young referees Development Conference last year, we were told by David Elleray to use a full palm (with thumb tucked in) and not to point...

But as is said above, signalling is pretty much down to personal preference as long as it follows the laws of the game

i dojnt think it matter if the players undertand your decision thats what matters, i do agree about the whistle after a goal

But as is said above, signalling is pretty much down to personal preference as long as it follows the laws of the game

I agree, and I see all professional refs giving throw ins and corners with full hand so..
The only time I point something is when I give a penalty, seems just natural to me to "point a point" I don't even think about it while I do it

If anything what your mentor has said is the opposite of what is expected... When i was on the National Young referees Development Conference last year, we were told by David Elleray to use a full palm (with thumb tucked in) and not to point...

Clang! Sorry Callum you dropped soemething there ;)

Regarding signals, display the ones shown in the LotG. It's not down to personal preference. When you are regularly featuring on MotD or the FLS then you can start displaying "style". Until then use the prescribed signals.

As for the whistle at a goal, if you think about it, the most common reason for blowing the whistle is if there is an infringement. Play stops, players look at you, you have to make a decision, you become the centre of attention for no valid reason. Unless it's a close goal/no goal decision, then just move away and re-position for the kick off while monitoring the interaction between the two teams.

Just use the signals gestures that are prescribed in the LOTG.

Regarding signals, display the ones shown in the LotG. It's not down to personal preference. When you are regularly featuring on MotD or the FLS then you can start displaying "style". Until then use the prescribed signals.

What is the signal prescribed in the LOTG for a referee to indicate a throw? I can't find it.

As noted above, no whistle on a goal is the way to go... unless there's an in/out situation (much like a ball over the touch line or goal line that goes out and comes back in quickly). In that case, whistle to stop the play, then point to the centre circle. If they're confused... just tell 'em that it was a goal. :)

Back