A&H

Shoulder to shoulder challenges

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Had this come up alot today in a game. One team thinking shoulder to shoulder challenges are absolutely. Which by and large are, but what I noticed they were doing was taking that second to check their opponent and massively ramming into them, sending them flying. Now this to me isnt shoulder to shoulder, this isa deliberate attempt to take them out. I had a barrage of last weeks ref let them do it. But just wondering what everyone elses take on shoulder challenges is?

The main culprit had 4 or 5, he had a briefing warning, then called him over for his final warning. He proceeded to tell me he didnt want to talk about it, fair enough fella thats just got your name in the book for ignoring me and failing to let me just give you a bit of a public dressing down. Stupid footballers!

The Referee Store
If they're giving the look before going into a shoulder to shoulder and ramming, then in my books that's Excessive Force and a free kick, had a few like that in a local derby last week in the first 15 minutes, eventually they got the message

If they're giving the look before going into a shoulder to shoulder and ramming, then in my books that's Excessive Force and a free kick, had a few like that in a local derby last week in the first 15 minutes, eventually they got the message
Really? Excessive force? That means the player should be dismissed from the field of play.

Had this come up alot today in a game. One team thinking shoulder to shoulder challenges are absolutely. Which by and large are, but what I noticed they were doing was taking that second to check their opponent and massively ramming into them, sending them flying. Now this to me isnt shoulder to shoulder, this isa deliberate attempt to take them out. I had a barrage of last weeks ref let them do it. But just wondering what everyone elses take on shoulder challenges is?

The main culprit had 4 or 5, he had a briefing warning, then called him over for his final warning. He proceeded to tell me he didnt want to talk about it, fair enough fella thats just got your name in the book for ignoring me and failing to let me just give you a bit of a public dressing down. Stupid footballers!
If they make simultaneous contact, shoulder to shoulder, they can do it all day. If it is one player making contact with his shoulder but on his opponent's back or front or if he barges into the opponent, then it's a free kick all day long. Stuff last week's referee, he's not here this week.

If they make simultaneous contact, shoulder to shoulder, they can do it all day. If it is one player making contact with his shoulder but on his opponent's back or front or if he barges into the opponent, then it's a free kick all day long. Stuff last week's referee, he's not here this week.

Exactly my thought. I'm happy with them going shoulder to shoulder, but when players are essentially using their shoulder as a replacement for their hands to just push someone.

The problems start when you have big man and little man going shoulder to shoulder. Invariably little man comes off worst, It's still not a foul unless it is careless or reckless etc, but the small players team mates won't care. They have seen their man get out muscled! They want a freekick!

Ps... Davemac - 91 goals in 12 games? WHAT!?!?!?

My take on these challenges is fairly straightforward. If two players are chasing the ball and competing for the same space, I'll allow them to use their body strength provided it is shoulder (or upper arm) to shoulder (or upper arm).
If a player has control of the ball and an opponent barges him off the ball, that's a foul because I interpret it as a "charge" not competing for space.

A "charge" is also allowed unless it is careless, reckless etc. :)

But when does a charge become too much? I mean if I run full pelt at someone with my shoulder is it a charge and fine? I'm 17 stone I'd knock most flying.

On the goals front I've done a couple of very one sided youth games. I've not even update it recently!

Back