A&H

Should you let play continue until it's conclusion on offside calls?

Mada

Team A is attacking, the CAR flags for offside. One of their players could be offside but the other one not so I'm not sure if his flag is correct or not. I wait a few seconds and see how it develops. Team A are in the penalty area, shoots and the goalkeeper saves it then it goes out for a goal kick. I go over to the CAR to ask what he saw and during which he tells me confidently that the player I thought could be offside was. I give the offisde rather than the goal kick.

Not a single complaint either way as the chance was missed but I'm wondering if I was correct. From the flag going up to the ball going out of play must have been 10-12 seconds.

This happens in the premier league and the referee is encouraged not to blow so VAR can check. I don't have that luxury on a Saturday afternoon on a public pitch. I'm thinking I have been swayed by VAR and that I should have given the offside from the outset if there was any suspicion of offside to prevent the chance even happening in the first place.

Interested to hear your thoughts!

The Referee Store
Personally once I see the flag I have to make a decision there to blow or overrule it. If the above scenario had resulted in a goal this risks losing match control as you unpick it back to award the free kick.

Speak to both CARs before the game saying "give a late flag rather than a wrong flag, think about who has received the ball and if they were onside when the ball was played" and hope they do so. If the team(s) change CAR during the match (they're normally substitutes) say the same to the new person

I don't see an issue with the OP's approach here really. As we know, it is rare that a CAR will follow pre-match instructions to the letter. I tell them that if I don't blow/overrule, they should not worry. We can always discuss problems during a break in play. Some will raise the flag because they assume that a player will get to the ball; often he/she doesn't or it goes to another player. Players generally know to play to the whistle, not the flag; but a loud 'play on' may be called for here.

I think you’ve given an honest self assessment about the influence of premier league officiating there, and answered your own question.

You thought player was offside and the flag has been raised - if you think said player is offside it is best to call straight away, unless there’s a second or even third player moving to the ball who can play it.

In that case you’re right to wait and see what happens. Could be that one of these runs through everyone and gets the ball while the initial player doesn’t get near it. In these scenarios I’ll shout “Not him!” to make it clear to everyone.

Alternatively if you think it’s an incorrect call, over rule and make it clear verbally.

You've found a conflict between safe refereeing (flag goes up = whistle blows) and correct refereeing here! Given you were using CAR's, I would say you did exactly the right thing here.

If a flag goes up and my spidey senses are tinlging that he's flagged against a non-involved player, that's the perfect time to let play go on. If the goal had been scored but you accepted his incorrect flag, you'd have ruled out a perfectly good goal for no reason. As it ended up going out for a GK, you could argue that it's quicker and easier just to get on with it - but by the sounds of it, your decision to go over and clarify with the CAR has helped sell the decision and keep the peace.

This isn't a VAR problem, it's a CAR problem!

You've found a conflict between safe refereeing (flag goes up = whistle blows) and correct refereeing here! Given you were using CAR's, I would say you did exactly the right thing here.

If a flag goes up and my spidey senses are tinlging that he's flagged against a non-involved player, that's the perfect time to let play go on. If the goal had been scored but you accepted his incorrect flag, you'd have ruled out a perfectly good goal for no reason. As it ended up going out for a GK, you could argue that it's quicker and easier just to get on with it - but by the sounds of it, your decision to go over and clarify with the CAR has helped sell the decision and keep the peace.

This isn't a VAR problem, it's a CAR problem!

I've bolded the issue here that I strongly agree with. With starting refereeing this season coming up in Australia, and coming from an assistant coaching role in Australia's (overly large) third tier where all games had a Centre referee, a linesman, and a CAR from the home club, I'm not sure how I'm going to respond to this issue considering I'll be dealing with most likely two CAR's for games

Team A is attacking, the CAR flags for offside. One of their players could be offside but the other one not so I'm not sure if his flag is correct or not. I wait a few seconds and see how it develops. Team A are in the penalty area, shoots and the goalkeeper saves it then it goes out for a goal kick. I go over to the CAR to ask what he saw and during which he tells me confidently that the player I thought could be offside was. I give the offisde rather than the goal kick.

Not a single complaint either way as the chance was missed but I'm wondering if I was correct. From the flag going up to the ball going out of play must have been 10-12 seconds.

This happens in the premier league and the referee is encouraged not to blow so VAR can check. I don't have that luxury on a Saturday afternoon on a public pitch. I'm thinking I have been swayed by VAR and that I should have given the offside from the outset if there was any suspicion of offside to prevent the chance even happening in the first place.

Interested to hear your thoughts!
Considering the possibility the CAR had flagged for the wrong player, it seems sensible to wait until you can verify the situation by speaking to them.

Then again, this is another one for not giving CAR's responsibility for offside.

I always brief my linos to not flag until they've touched it, unless they're one on one with the keeper.

It might be frustrating for the players at times but not as frustrating as getting a call wrong because they've flagged the wrong player.

If I have neutral and qualified linesmen, then that's different. I mostly let them do their own thing as they see fit.

It also helps to gauge a CAR's reliability. If he's listened in the pre match brief, everything should go according to plan. If he's just flagging aimlessly, then you know he hasn't been paying attention to the brief or is flat out refusing to work with you as a team.

Back