A&H

Should this game abandoned?

The Referee Store
Lol. That's the worst wind I've ever seen.

In all seriousness though while I wouldn't have an issue suspending a game due to wind (not from the players), would you have grounds to abandon if there were no direct safety concerns?

Absolutely not.
Crap conditions for decent football I'd agree but player safety isn't an issue.
Player ADAPTabilty is key in that scenario - ref included. :)
Only my opinion though..... :hmmm: :cool:

I tend to believe that once the ball will not remain still for ground based restarts, game over.

In a partially surrounded ground, the ball was probably fine when kept low.

We discussed this at our referee society last night - mostly because the referee is part of our society :)

There was another occasion in the game where a goal kick left the penalty area (forwards) and then was blown out for a corner

Players did adapt - most enjoyed & accepted it ... there didn't look to be any safety issues (e.g. advertising signs flapping, debris on the pitch, etc.)

I was refereeing on a 3g pitch last saturday when the wind was really blowing. players were doing best to restart play with still ball but proved impossible on this surface as not able to make a dip as you could on grass to keep ball still. I blew for the first few to be retaken but as wind got stronger I allowed ball moved by wind to continue after players had made several attempts to get ball to remain still.

It's a difficult position for the referee to be in.

@Alex71 what were the referee's comments as to what the opinion of the clubs, managers and players were?

It's a difficult position for the referee to be in.

@Alex71 what were the referee's comments as to what the opinion of the clubs, managers and players were?

@Jacko - they largely accepted it and cracked on - wasn't a constant wind - a few delays on free-kicks with people waiting for the wind to calm down ... More moans about a free-kick late on that led to the equaliser

Back