A&H

Should the Select Group talk to the media post-match?

That annoys me tho tbh, if he is guilty of a red by the LoTG then it happens, its there in black and white so why shouldnt it be followed?

For a start you will never to get to that elite level of refereeing if you apply the LOTG as written, especially OFFINABUS.

Clubs view cautions for dissent and reds for S6 as 'cheap' and your club mark will suffer. They will complain that you could, and should, have 'managed' it out.
Therefore referees who apply the LOTG correctly often fail in their promotion quest.

The successful candidates compromise by not hearing certain comments or 'managing' situations that should be a card. It keeps the clubs sweet and protects their club marks.

The Referee Store
The successful candidates compromise by not hearing certain comments or 'managing' situations that should be a card. It keeps the clubs sweet and protects their club marks.
To be fair, given that once significant crowds are involved football becomes part of the entertainment business, 'managing' situations and helping keep the match a first class spectacle understandably becomes part of the referee's role ....

To be fair, given that once significant crowds are involved football becomes part of the entertainment business, 'managing' situations and helping keep the match a first class spectacle understandably becomes part of the referee's role ....

In preference of applying the LOTG?

Not at all. Some of the LOTG are black and white (eg ball in/out of play). Some are subjective and rely on the opinion of the referee. OFFINABUS, the specific issue you raise, is one such example so if a referee chooses to grow a thicker skin and be less easily offended then that's a valid option ...

Not at all. Some of the LOTG are black and white (eg ball in/out of play). Some are subjective and rely on the opinion of the referee. OFFINABUS, the specific issue you raise, is one such example so if a referee chooses to grow a thicker skin and be less easily offended then that's a valid option ...

Please highlight for me the requirement for the referee to be offended for the offence of OFFINABUS to be complete?

While I like debate and have no problem with the discussion above as it stands (although we seem to have this debate every few months it seems :S ) can we make sure to keep it civil gents.

I agree this law is one of the wooliest laws written in the magic book. It gives no real solid ruling or definition and is so open to interpretation that it's a playground for problems - both on the pitch when trying to apply it and on forums discussing and dissecting it!

My point entirely SuperMonkey .. some laws are objective, this is one that is very subjective. So, Padfoot, you're absolutely right that the referee doesn't have to be offended (hence my comment about thicker skin was not entirely accurate) .. but hopefully you'd agree that referees are given the right to use their discretion and so it's a bit harsh to complain when they do just that! :)

Back