A&H

Should Pompey have seen yellow too?

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
As I tuned into the Portsmouth v Oxford match yesterday, my first action was to see the corner, which led to the penalty in this match.
Easy penalty to give in my opinion.
Then the penalty gets taken and he hits the post..........

Then cue mass confrontation.

It started with Thompson running 10 or so yards in the direction of the Oxford player who has dropped down to bended knee in shock and disbelief at not scoring. As he is getting up, Thompsongets in his face and effectively ridicules him, leading to Mowatt slapping him. Mass con starts.
Ref stops play immediately and both assistants get involved.

After a brief consultation, the ref pulls out a yellow and shows to the keeper, who in my opinion runs in the step between the two players and if was worthy of a booking (I didn't think so) then so was about 6 or 7 others.
The person, in my opinion, who should have got a yellow was Thompson. He was the instigator of this.
What's more, he was cautioned late in the first half and would have been sent off himself.

What's your opinions?

For those of you who haven't seen it....

The Referee Store
Saw it on fb earlier.

Easy 2nd yellow card for AA. Granted the penalty taker shouldn't have slapped him in the face, but the Portsmouth players reaction is beyond pathetic and is everything that's wrong with modern football!

Agree it should be a second caution, but who would have seen it? Because of where the ball has gone the referee and half way line assistant are immediately looking out to the left wing, so that just leaves the assistant who was the goal line judge on the penalty. He'd have been moving back at speed to his touchline after the penalty, as well as trying to quickly recover the offside line. It must have been him who has called the red card, and I'd say he has done very well to do so and it is difficult to criticise him for not seeing the reaction. They've somehow got the KMI right, against all of the odds, and that is the key thing for me.

Also to add it was a very good decision to call the penalty in the first place.

Should Thompson have been cautioned? Absolutely. Whichever official saw the slap ought to have seen the provocation for it too. It was still happening at the time of the slap. I suspect he saw the provocation but didn't notice it (if that makes sense) or it was forgotten about due to being the victim of the red card offence.

For me the caution to keeper was also correct. He ran in and was very aggressive, being "worst of the rest".

I wont be too unhappy as an observer though, very difficult to get every decision right in a mass con that starts behind play. Two out of three (which included the main red) is pretty good.

Last edited:
I heard about this on Talksport and I'm sure the ref said he did book the pompey player but forgot he had already booked him. I think it was on the Jim White show, as they were talking about it as they interviewed Carl Robinson on Friday.

I heard about this on Talksport and I'm sure the ref said he did book the pompey player but forgot he had already booked him. I think it was on the Jim White show, as they were talking about it as they interviewed Carl Robinson on Friday.

Only the keeper was booked for Pompey. No case of doing a "Poll" and booking twice and not sending off.

Agree with @one here - number 5 blue is involved and is doing his best to keep it calm in the face of a very angry penalty taker, it's the GK rushing in here that turns it into a mass con.

Reactions: one
Non story then. The GK deserved the YC. I did a university game a few weeks back and the home team had GPS vests on. I bumped into a player I had booked for AA who was managing the girls university futsal team and the only movement on the GKs gps vest was when he ran 90 yards to join a mass confrontation. Easy yellow card when dishing them out. The palyer found this really funny.

Back