A&H

Should I start at Youth Level or Adult?

Being involved in a team of 3 is another great learning tool. I have had no issues with parents but I am in my forties and most parents are a bit more careful what they will say to one of their peers rather than somebody a lot younger. There are tools there for parents who over step the line. Senior youth is a good place to learn. I also do a bit of OA football and my advice do not stay in youth too long. After half a season try getting some adult games but also tell the appointing person how much experience you have and they will ease you into it, if they are good at what they do.

The Referee Store
I'll go against the grain - go in the deep end, referee the adults.

It's not that frightening. Mind you, I'm blessed. Both my "open-age" debut games have been with teams that were well-behaved and welcoming, which really helped set the tone.

Kids, learn your basics first, and if possible grab a line with experienced ref on adult games, then slowly put all your learning together
An offside, fk, handball, dogso all look the same at every level, so as with driving, start on the slow deserted industrial estate before moving to A road then motorway

Hi guys.

I'm still considering if I should give refereeing a go. I'm 18 years old and think it'd be something fun to do but it seems a lot of hassle. One of the main questions I'm having is whether I should do youth football or not. I've heard a few people saying things for both sides of it so I'm not sure. I'm reasonably shy at first with things but get more confident later usually.

What do you reckon I should start with if I do start?

A sound knowledge of the LOTG gives you confidence as a referee - the rest comes with practice and being comfortable in the role. This can't take place overnight mate. A shy person will generally be gobbled up by adult players within a few minutes, especially if that person happens to be younger than they are (which at only 18 years of age - you will be).
Set yourself off doing youth matches, where the players are all younger than you and therefore can't really intimidate you as such. far easier to deal with a petulant kid than an aggressive adult. If you were say, in your 30s or 40s like most of us are when we take up the whistle I'd say jump straight into OA football and don't waste time but you're clearly young and slightly apprehensive so make it easier on yourself and referee within and below your peer group for a season or so just to give yourself a chance.

As ever, the above is only my opinion though .... :)

A sound knowledge of the LOTG gives you confidence as a referee - the rest comes with practice and being comfortable in the role. This can't take place overnight mate. A shy person will generally be gobbled up by adult players within a few minutes, especially if that person happens to be younger than they are (which at only 18 years of age - you will be).
Set yourself off doing youth matches, where the players are all younger than you and therefore can't really intimidate you as such. far easier to deal with a petulant kid than an aggressive adult. If you were say, in your 30s or 40s like most of us are when we take up the whistle I'd say jump straight into OA football and don't waste time but you're clearly young and slightly apprehensive so make it easier on yourself and referee within and below your peer group for a season or so just to give yourself a chance.

As ever, the above is only my opinion though .... :)
Thanks. I think after a few times I would have more confidence etc. but at the start I'd be questioning myself over every decision, even if it was something obvious. I guess it comes with time

Don't doubt yourself in the match, save that for post-match.

By that, I mean if you've made a decision you're unsure about, don't bloody dwell on it. Just move on and referee the rest of the game as if you got it spot on. Re-visit it at full time in either your own dressing room, or when you're back home with the Law book in your hand once you've calmed down a bit from the game.

Reflecting on decisions you've taken and identifying if you got it right or wrong post-match is one of the best ways you can self-improve. We all make errors, some major, some minor. But the best of us will identify that and learn from it. :) (And also, never forget rule #1: Have fun.)

I agree with RobOda if you start thinking about what you have just given your game is going to go down hill rapidly. On the way home is the time to reflect.

I’m in the same position as you, despite being a little older at 25.
I’ve come to the decision of doing 5-10 games at youth level just to get the ball rolling and gain some confidence. Then have a go at OA and hopefully take it from there!

What do you mean?

Do you want to go through assessments etc and therefore referee open age.

Or is youth football where you want to referee.

I had to give up refereeing on one of the best leagues I've ever been on (Kent Youth League) due to 7-6 and 6-5 promos.

I did lines on a Senior League (Step 5) alternate weeks on Step 7 league middles. And middles on open age sundays.

Made all the difference.

As much as you try not to, refereeing youth football is completely different to open age and if you plan to go through at least one promotion you need to be able to referee consistently.

Do you want to go through assessments etc and therefore referee open age.

Or is youth football where you want to referee.

I had to give up refereeing on one of the best leagues I've ever been on (Kent Youth League) due to 7-6 and 6-5 promos.

I did lines on a Senior League (Step 5) alternate weeks on Step 7 league middles. And middles on open age sundays.

Made all the difference.

As much as you try not to, refereeing youth football is completely different to open age and if you plan to go through at least one promotion you need to be able to referee consistently.
I mean long term if I'm good enough I'd like to keep going up the ladder and would eventually end up doing OA but I'm wondering what would be best to start with

It also depends how old you are.I think it is easier for an elder guy to go straight into OA, but I feel every trainee ref should do 2 youth games at 11 aside to get the feel of it and try to build some confidence and foul recognition.If you are on the younger side start with youth learn your trade for half a season its easier to ref youth as the players tend to be better behaved. But ultimately do what you want and what feels right. If you feel you have the confidence and the skills to go straight in to OA why not.

It also depends how old you are.I think it is easier for an elder guy to go straight into OA, but I feel every trainee ref should do 2 youth games at 11 aside to get the feel of it and try to build some confidence and foul recognition.If you are on the younger side start with youth learn your trade for half a season its easier to ref youth as the players tend to be better behaved. But ultimately do what you want and what feels right. If you feel you have the confidence and the skills to go straight in to OA why not.
Yeah I'm 18 so on the younger side lol

Try and get senior youth games 15 and up wards use them as a confidence builder find your style of reffing use your cards and then when you are ready move to OA. Having the confidence of already reffing will make a huge difference when you step up but don't leave the step too long. Half a season perhaps.

Back