A&H

Shocker

JBeil

Level 5 Referee
Just had an absolutely dreadful OA game this sunday - whinging and moaning from both teams throughout the first half, including one bloke shoving me (completely bottled it, should have been a red for VC, only gave C1) and one mouthy prat who picked up two cards and then decided to come back onto the pitch afterwards and moan some more, including getting up in my face -again- to tell me I've given him three yellows.

I've checked my book and there's no three cards, but it's not the sort of thing they'd just make up. I've put in what I've put in and I expect I'll get my knuckles rapped by the CFA, but right now I'm considering packing sunday football in altogether; I could have spent sunday with my mum and instead I had all of this crap. What do you do after games like this where everything that could have gone wrong, has?

The Referee Store
Very hard to take but sounds like you did alright, and you have assessed your own performance which is the most important thing to do - you’re right on the red card, should also be put in as a misconduct report if I’m not mistaken as it’s assault on a ref. Same goes for the bloke who came back on after being sent off.

Some matches unfortunately are like that. Best thing to do is to analyse it, take stock of things, and come back stronger - don’t let a couple of absolute spanners put you off. Is there anything else earlier in the game that you can think of that may have shut them up earlier? Did you work on controlling dissent?

Well done on asking for advice though! It’s the most important thing and will help you progress immensely

If you realise your own failings thats a positive sign

And its a sign that will stand you in good fettle gawn forwards

Very hard to take but sounds like you did alright, and you have assessed your own performance which is the most important thing to do -

Some matches unfortunately are like that. Best thing to do is to analyse it, take stock of things, and come back stronger - don’t let a couple of absolute spanners put you off.

This ^ ^ ^ :)

You had a shocker because the teams were shocking. Everyone is allowed one every season :)

I tell you what, I have assessed referees who had shockers, my first question to them usually is how do you think you went? I have had responses as "I think I did good". My immediate thought is oh boy, its going to be a long road to improvement. I have also has responses as "I had a shocker" and my smile as to "You have taken your first step towards improvement."

I would like to ask you to write a list of at least three positives you can take out of that game (don't have to share it if you don't want to). I get you started with a bonus one.

If you can identify a problem, you are already half way into solving it. You identified at least one in your self assessment.

including one bloke shoving me (completely bottled it, should have been a red for VC, only gave C1)

Just wondering are you still permitted to write that in as an assault report?

I hope that the caution doesn't mean the FA will take the view that it was 'dealt with'. Is this worth writing up an extraordinary report about?

You had a shocker because the teams were shocking. Everyone is allowed one every season :)

I tell you what, I have assessed referees who had shockers, my first question to them usually is how do you think you went? I have had responses as "I think I did good". My immediate thought is oh boy, its going to be a long road to improvement. I have also has responses as "I had a shocker" and my smile as to "You have taken your first step towards improvement."

I would like to ask you to write a list of at least three positives you can take out of that game (don't have to share it if you don't want to). I get you started with a bonus one.

If you can identify a problem, you are already half way into solving it. You identified at least one in your self assessment.

Wee bit off topic but i supervised a, well, awful performance, and asked the same after the game, how do you think it went?
After some thinking time he came back with, "pretty poor i think"
"Nah", says me, shaking my head...."sorry to say it was worse than that...."

Wee bit off topic but i supervised a, well, awful performance, and asked the same after the game, how do you think it went?

You little ray of sunshine you!! :D

You little ray of sunshine you!! :D

The scary thing is, when I watched the game back, it was indeed worse than I had imagined at the time.

But back to the topic, realising or having a reasonable grasp of how the game went is a good traif to have.
If you think you did well, then you now know the minimum standard to display

Go home, note down what happened and then have a nice drink, a good meal and relax a bit.
Later that evening, read your notes, write your report (s) and submit.
Next day analyse and assess to suit your own needs.

, but right now I'm considering packing sunday football in altogether; I could have spent sunday with my mum and instead I had all of this crap. What do you do after games like this where everything that could have gone wrong, has?

Anyone who has reffed for some time has had days (or sets of days) like this. A couple of years ago I had a few games in a row that just felt awful--all for different reasons. I stepped down to some lower level games to re-find the fun in this, and it helped me regain my focus.

Reactions: one
Just had an absolutely dreadful OA game this sunday - whinging and moaning from both teams throughout the first half, including one bloke shoving me (completely bottled it, should have been a red for VC, only gave C1) and one mouthy prat who picked up two cards and then decided to come back onto the pitch afterwards and moan some more, including getting up in my face -again- to tell me I've given him three yellows.

I've checked my book and there's no three cards, but it's not the sort of thing they'd just make up. I've put in what I've put in and I expect I'll get my knuckles rapped by the CFA, but right now I'm considering packing sunday football in altogether; I could have spent sunday with my mum and instead I had all of this crap. What do you do after games like this where everything that could have gone wrong, has?
I packed up adult Sunday football earlier this season because of the idiots involved.
I keep getting asked to reconsider, but most of the teams don't deserve a referee, so I say no.

Just wondering are you still permitted to write that in as an assault report?

I hope that the caution doesn't mean the FA will take the view that it was 'dealt with'. Is this worth writing up an extraordinary report about?

I emailed my RDO and he asked me to put a report in, I suspect I may end up in hot water if it goes to a hearing.

Very hard to take but sounds like you did alright, and you have assessed your own performance which is the most important thing to do - you’re right on the red card, should also be put in as a misconduct report if I’m not mistaken as it’s assault on a ref. Same goes for the bloke who came back on after being sent off.

Some matches unfortunately are like that. Best thing to do is to analyse it, take stock of things, and come back stronger - don’t let a couple of absolute spanners put you off. Is there anything else earlier in the game that you can think of that may have shut them up earlier? Did you work on controlling dissent?

Well done on asking for advice though! It’s the most important thing and will help you progress immensely

The only thing I can think of that I didn't do was penalising players while jumping - most of them as I saw there was no real impedence, players just decided not to bother jumping and then whinge about it, but I've been wrong before! Second half I got the cards out straight away and was on the whistle for everything in the first ten minutes, which seemed to calm the game down (until the lad who got sent off decided to kick the keeper in the face while trying to win the ball...dangerous play and second yellow all day)

+ As mentioned, second half I was much better in general
+ Correctly sent the mouthy number nine following the high boot on the keeper
+ Broke up some handbags between home and away players and awarded the proper cards - lead to quite a funny moment as I've booked away player, he's taken it well, book home player and he's absolutely incredulous. "You've got a fistful of his shirt," referring to the two squaring up after the tackle, and his response? "So did he!" Sadly I wasn't witty enough to tell him that's why I booked them both!

More concerningly I've thought through the game and I think I might have the three yellows for the same player - I'm still not 100% but I think I may have given a yellow after not awarding a penalty (charming lad called me a bottlejob - 'you bottled it because you didn't want to give us a 3-1 lead' were his exact words!). Not a mistake I'm going to make a second time but I suspect I'll hear back about that!

I've been given this team again in two weeks time - as much as I'd like to go back and enjoy their charming banter again, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to go back given the match incidents mentioned above. Thoughts?

I've been given this team again in two weeks time - as much as I'd like to go back and enjoy their charming banter again, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to go back given the match incidents mentioned above. Thoughts?

I think you'd have justification to ask to be removed from the game. It might be a sensible idea anyway.

emailed my RDO and he asked me to put a report in, I suspect I may end up in hot water if it goes to a hearing.

Well, I hope they will support you through this. Raising it with your referee's society might be something to consider as well, for more local advice and support, particularly if things get taken further.

I honestly dont get why anyone would referee Sunday league open age.

I was with my local U21s yesterday coaching and pitch next to us there was a top v second open age game, must have been 200/300 watching.

Three times i noticed while trying to concentrate on our own game people on the pitch that shouldn't have been.

One player (i didnt see) but heard he committed an over the ball tackle and dont know how it never kicked off, i had comments calling the ref a cheat and a nonce.

Go and do the kids leagues is my advice, you get some gobby parents but a stroll in the park to what i witnessed yesterday.

I emailed my RDO and he asked me to put a report in, I suspect I may end up in hot water if it goes to a hearing.

The only thing I can think of that I didn't do was penalising players while jumping - most of them as I saw there was no real impedence, players just decided not to bother jumping and then whinge about it, but I've been wrong before! Second half I got the cards out straight away and was on the whistle for everything in the first ten minutes, which seemed to calm the game down (until the lad who got sent off decided to kick the keeper in the face while trying to win the ball...dangerous play and second yellow all day)

+ As mentioned, second half I was much better in general
+ Correctly sent the mouthy number nine following the high boot on the keeper
+ Broke up some handbags between home and away players and awarded the proper cards - lead to quite a funny moment as I've booked away player, he's taken it well, book home player and he's absolutely incredulous. "You've got a fistful of his shirt," referring to the two squaring up after the tackle, and his response? "So did he!" Sadly I wasn't witty enough to tell him that's why I booked them both!

More concerningly I've thought through the game and I think I might have the three yellows for the same player - I'm still not 100% but I think I may have given a yellow after not awarding a penalty (charming lad called me a bottlejob - 'you bottled it because you didn't want to give us a 3-1 lead' were his exact words!). Not a mistake I'm going to make a second time but I suspect I'll hear back about that!

Don't underestimate the getting shoved part. Talk to people you trust - refs and not if you can - and try and be fresh for the next game. Good luck and well done for getting through that. There's no excuse for players pushing you or coming back after being dismissed. They deserve every punishment.

Glad your application for a job in the Samaritans call centre was rejected then ! 👍

Back